Chapter 1

After the initial excitement, most of the others were asked to leave to make room for the cleaning crew that was going to help clear away the rubble. They had whined in protest but gave in eventually when professor Brown told them we'd be working with some of what was going to be pulled up from the tomb tomorrow as a much more exciting 'practical' lesson. I personally, was having a hard time telling if I felt thrilled or sick. I had watched as people swarmed over the small room, voices echoing harshly in the still air. My throat was still closed up, my lungs painfully constricted. It had all felt so wrong. Carol stood beside me, she and I having been asked if we could 'please stay out of the way' while the men cleared things up.

As usual.

Most of the smaller treasures and artifacts had been removed already, waiting safely on trucks outside the tomb and bound for the museum. The mummy would be taken out last and would have to be handled carefully to prevent damaging the body. The thought made my heart beat painfully inside my chest. Distant chatter broke me out of my own thoughts, however, and the sound of static was enough to make me flinch. It sounded so unnatural here, almost grating with how the noise bounced off the walls.

Rodney had kept a small radio with him, ever resourceful, and had signaled to the police waiting outside when it became clear that we couldn't leave the tomb without help, and after they had chased away the reporters, they came as quickly as they could. A ladder was lowered, and I waved as the class filed out, chattering amongst themselves. The police congratulated Rodney, Carol and I, and I overheard several remarks on how this discovery would surely boost Egypt's economy. I smiled thinly, sending up a silent prayer that none of the artifacts were left unattended while within reach of this particular police detail. By the gleam in their eyes, the only economy they were interested in improving was their own. Several others had nodded, voicing their agreements, promises of celebrations floating around in the festive, if not slightly stuffy air.

But not everyone agrees.

My uneasy eyes had wandered several times to a group of Egyptian officials standing by the ladder, who had come down before the police and now stood off to the side - an oddity in their pressed suits - away from all the activity. Their sour mood was a stain, and it was spreading, I could see the unease in the eyes of some of our own hired employees, people I had worked with during this expedition, who had been just as excited as we were with this discovery. Their enthusiasm dimmed by harsh, superstitious words.

I remember thinking dryly to myself that they were sucking all the life out of the room. Not to mention the way they had glared at me like I was a bug and had continued to do after I had said hello was giving me a headache. They had immediately suggested to Rodney that the tomb should be set right again and resealed. And while they made some compelling, if not disturbing points, Rodney was not detoured. And from where I stood, an almost invisible presence next to my sisters' vibrant excitement and chatter, I was surprised to find my loyalties not exactly lining up as I'd previously thought they would.

I agreed with them. Vaguely. On a few points.

We blanched at the thought of exhuming our own dead, how was this any different?

Perhaps they were right, something felt off, and nobody else seemed to notice. Which would have been helpful or at least given me some peace of mind; it was discerning being the only one worried. I frowned, a sudden thought striking me. The officials had repeatedly mentioned a curse, but when I had asked they had suddenly gone quiet.

It was all quite suspicious.

The crew steadily sent down lights, big hulking monstrosities that cast everything in a harsh, almost medical white light. It took away some of the magic, being able to see everything so clearly; the flaws and cracks and peeling paint. Carol, Jimmy and I had been the only students allowed to stay, and we were careful not to get in the way as the professor and my brother fawned over everything like two young schoolboys. I had remained beside the sarcophagus, one hand on the rim, not quite willing to leave. Something kept me there, a feeling, like that was where I was supposed to be. Which was rather stupid, I convinced myself later – my obsession was obviously getting out of hand.