Chapter 6

I woke up to the smell of donuts in the air.
For a moment I smiled and hugged my pillow tight until reality came down on me . Did last night really happen or was it a terrible terrible dream .

I grabbed my phone and there's was three text messages . One from Sean asking me if I needed a ride to class later on that day . One from my mom asking me when I was coming to visit and One from an unknown number "good morning Gabby This is Jay ..Save the  number. I sat up and my head spun in a full 360. I needed water and coffee fast . I rushed into the kitchen so consumed with the task at hand I didn't even notice Sophie sitting on the couch .

" Rough night "

I nearly dropped the glass in my hand .

"Sophie where have you been I've been trying to contact you since the party "

" Yea I know I just had a couple of things on my mind and I needed to be alone "

I grabbed two donuts and sat next to her

" Soph I'm your best friend if anything is bothering you just tell me I'll always be here for you . And  it doesn't help that I can't go a day without speaking to you "

A small smiled played across her face

I know talking about feelings was Always hard for Sophie. Growing up as an only child her father abused her and her mother . She constantly had to lie or keep quiet about the things going on in their household. I didn't find out about the abuse  until Jr high school when Sophie tried to cover up a black eye her dad had given her for not washing the dishes . From that point on she spent countless nights at my house. I finally got the sister I never had . Then she started living with her grandmother who passed away sometimes last year. She left Sophie her house and a nice chunk of change . In her will she apologized for Sophie's dad behavior and wished things could be different .

"Everything is okay Gabby I'm sorry for making you worry "  she gave me a kiss on the cheek then noticed her jacket on my loveseat

" I thought I left that at the party I was just about to call Mike and ask him if he's seen it...how did you get it ?  "

I took another big bite from the donut and muffled out

"Jay brought it here last night "

Sophie looked at me with what looked like a look of hurt and confusion ..I could  understand why she was confused but hurt ? I  decided to further explain

"He found my I.D in your pocket and brought it here . Then we had dinner and I did something really stupid "

I waited for her to speak but she didn't say anything. The heat and embarrassment of yesterday flushed my face again .

" I tried to have sex with him Soph" I got up and started pacing back and fourth ." I don't know what came over me yesterday and even though I'm embarrassed and I would never ever do something like that again I secretly don't regret it I just wish I could apologize to Jay for making things so uncomfortable he's really a great guy "

" So....you guys didn't have sex ? "

" No he turned me down " I plopped back down on the chair happy to finally get last night off my chest.  Sophie was  looking a little relieved . Then it hit me like a ton of bricks .

"Sophie omg do you like Jay ? I never even asked you before I got all  googly  eye for him . I grabbed her hands . I'm so sorry I would never do anything to hurt you "

"Well you didn't ask me " she grabbed her hand back and picked up her jacket " and to be honest you guys look like you make a better couple ....he's all yours " 

She walked out and slammed the door making me feel even lower than I felt yesterday but instead no bottle of wine could numb the pain of hurting my best friend .