Preface

Around 18 years ago a short women walks into the store shes been to a thousand times. This time though the psychic doesn't leave her worn out yellow couch. Nor does she look up from the jar in front of her. The women who sways like shes dancing stumbles into the chair across the psychic.

"Im sorry," she exclaims as the psychic examines her, " I have not been feeling well. Must have something to do with the altitude or the-"
"No," the psychic speaks her voice low and raspy. Keeping her exes fixated on the jar.
"Ms. Mornan?" The woman asks.
"Yes, child."
"Whats wrong?"
The psychic is take back by the question and snatches the jar away from the table. She starts pacing and pacing until suddenly she halts; an idea on her lips.
"Azaleas Maria, the perfect golden girl. My child," she has moved to put her hands on top of the women's stomach. "You bear child my dear. But not any child. The child of pure white. I warn you child, that your child shall not run away from you, get sick or die in our world. She will be taken however by her curiousity for the things you can not see. A ripple in the sky, a wave in the clouds, a snowflake indoors. She will be bound to this world you know is there. She is special like every child is. But her, she has something you seek to have."
The women stares blankly at the table now. Her hand on her stomach, hoping for a kick or some sign she actually is pregnant. She finally looks back up to the hooded psychic. Her words being entangled by her thoughts.
"I dont-" she stammers.
"Wait."
"What do i seek to have?"
"You," the psychic almost laughs, "ever since you were a girl, you've seeken magic my dear child. "
"Your saying she going to have-"
"NO!" The psychic yells, as the walls start to rumble, " You can not let her seek her desires. As it is dangerous and yet beautiful. Magic only comes to those who truly believe."

With that the psychic women shooed the other woman out of the small shop. She placed something small and crumpled in the women's hand. As the women walked she opened her palm to see a leaf. Green as the healthiest tree leaves. She watched as for the first time she could see her child's heart beating through the veins of the leaf.