Alternative ending

A/N
This is my headcannon based on the ending of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Warnings - None

Word Count - 1208

Written in - third person

Everything was crashing, burning, collapsing, everything falling apart as the missiles hit, Steve Rogers needed to get out.

A loud agonising scream sounded as The Winter Soldier fell onto the hard glass below where he originally was, and Captain America watched in horror as a giant beam fell down and crushed him against the glass.

Bullets burning in his body, the blonde dropped down and landed messily beside the trapped assassin. He staggered up and tryed to pull the beam off of his former lover before another part of the hellicarrier came crashing down, sending him backwards with a smack.

The dark-brown haired assassin watched in confusion as his Mission tried to help him.

Why is he helping me...

He should be trying to kill me...

He's my mission, I cant let him win..

The trapped-animal look of the former Bucky Barnes caused the Captain's heart to break slightly and fall away with the pieces of the burning hellicarrier; he launched himself at the fallen beam again and pulled as hard as he could, his arms burning.

The Winter Soldier groaned in pain and pulled himself out from under the crushing metal, his face turning hard.

I have to finish this...

The Boss will punish me if I don't...

Both gasping for air as they stuggled to get up, the metal-armed supersoldier clutching his broken arm to his side, ignoring the pain while the blonde stared at his former friend cautiously.

"You know me." He said, breathless while pushing himself up off of the thick glass.

"NO I DON'T!" The soldier shouted, while throwing his metal arm forward, his hand colliding with the Captain's face; not having much energy left, he fell to the floor once again as his fist retracted.

Breathless, Steve Rogers pushed himself up again, his voice cracking around the edges as he spoke.

"Bucky..." His voice sounded broken, tears threatening his eyes, "you have known me your whole life..." he slurred out.

The soldier's mind whirred and spun as images of a small, blonde haired boy collapsed in a alleyway fogged his mind.

No... he is playing tricks on your mind...

He lashed out at Steve, trying to stop the pain in his temples as more images flew through his clouded mind, knocking Steve to the floor once again.

Another part of the hellicarrier collapsed and burnt, the explosion sending vibrations through the broken ground they we on, sending the assassin to the floor once again.

"Your name.." The captain started, gasping for air, his lungs burning and his whole body in pain, "Is James Buchanan Barnes.."

"SHUT UP." The Winter Soldier screamed, sending Steve to the floor once more, as more memories flooded his mind, his temples burning.

He's lying...

Kill him before he kills you...

The captains helmet, broken and battered, now laid on the thick glass beneath their feet, as they both gasped for breath, their lungs refusing the air access.