The Sound Of Silence

Shiku stretched like a spoiled cat, his neglected muscles curled and his weary bones creaked. Shiku, if he were to pay attention to such things would probably be worried for his own health, but it did not matter.

His art was his life.

Shiku's dull eyes glanced upwards longingly, the tall supports of his glass hideout arched upwards like he was sitting peacefully in the palm of a giant beast. The moon stared blankly at him, he did not stare back. He simply continued, he let his instincts lead him in a timeless dance, brush after brush of paint against canvas revealed a scene of a peaceful looking flower seemingly swaying in a tame breeze.

He was finished.

"Ah, Senior Crear will probably pick this up soon, in his own time..." Shiku muttered to himself, he then arouse from his seat and turned towards the glass door, he had to leave at some point after all. Though the thought was not appealing in the slightest he let his tired feet lead him outside, his dwelling was somewhat secluded, as was everyone else's. The place to go to eat was the main cluster of buildings, such was the routine.

Work,

Finish,

Eat,

Work,

Work,

Sleep,

Awaken; repeat.

The schedule was efficient and all he would need. Shiku let out a ghost of a smile and felt his way to the doorknob, he felt the smooth and familiar material and already he had the urge to continue working, he resisted - he could not work if he starved.

Shiku made his way towards the market, it was peaceful, the empty root was edged with neatly trimmed trees, they always remained that way, and the path was always quiet and clean. Shiku perked slightly as he caught sight of the market, the small hunched over buildings had tarps over their selling material, men that all heavily resembled Shiku made their way to their respective homes with food in hand, today they were giving out sandwiches. Each day differed in what they gave, it was almost never the same thing twice, not that anyone cared much.

Shiku approached the food cart and picked up a sandwich, after inspecting it he left.

                                                                                    (=+=)

Shiku made his way back while carefully taking mouse-sized bites out of his appetizing sandwich, he didn't plan to eat for awhile he might as well savour the flavour.

Humming to himself he planned out his next work, thinking about things was so tiring, art just made sense there was no particular reason for it. It was not as if anyone expected him to produce anything but good artwork, exactly what he wanted. Of course occasionally he was asked to design - draw out on a thick piece of paper - these odd metal things for the Dogs, the Dogs were the police force, they wore tight black suits with gold trimming, stiff shoulder pads and rarely showed up.

Shiku could not quite recall where he learned of them, after all no one had seen one, oh well.

It wasn't important.

Shiku felt a cold sensation sweep down his spine, shortly after he heard an ear-splitting screech,

The scream was unearthly, definitely a man but Shiku had never heard the sound, it gave him a horrible feeling of dread, it had destroyed and torn through the comforting sound of silence.

And so he ran,