Words of No Other Kind

Antei walked into his work station without hesitation, his hands were clammy by his sides, his fingers twitched restlessly; desperate to cling to the paper to prove it was real, that it was real.

He drew in a shaky breath, steadying himself and willing his heart to cease galloping.

He had work to do.

Antei had opted out of breakfast, he had spent the last night staring at his ceiling and contemplating the paper, why had he taken it?

He was not a superstitious type, and yet the paper felt like a small rock weighing down his movements. 

Antei leaned against his office wall, it was idiotic to read the paper here, seeing as he stole it, however he couldn't bring himself to look at it anywhere else. 

His shaky hands brushed the sheet folded within his pocket, and he thought back to yesterday.

His senior looked at him stoically, his eyes demanding what his mouth didn't. Holding out an imposing hand he asked "Is your work finished?" and for once Antei didn't have am immediate answer, he couldn't seem to talk around the knot in his throat...

Antei knew words were beyond him, so he simply nodded and handed his superior the piece of paper, checked and revised, a few suggestions scrawled on a separate paper, though he knew they were a formality. 

His superior took the paper without haste and gave him a lingering look at he left the room, purpose in his echoing steps.

Antei shuddered and brought up the mental map of the equations, he stumbled towards his desk and shakily grabbed a pen, his writing without flaw despite his fear.

He knew that the older Xifra suspected something, how couldn't he? Nothing new happened, and yet Antei had acted out, arousing suspicions needlessly.

He heard the paper crumple under the pressure of his clammy hands. 

Shaking his head he brought up his hand to roughly wipe at his forehead, where a nervous sweat had developed. 

This was stupid.

He opened his eyes with determination and accessed the paper he held, it was the same thing, the same deadly equation. 

Why? How? For what possible reason?

The only thing he had were questions, there was no answer he could get from this paper, equations had never felt so alien as they did then.

For what purpose?!

He bit his lip and felt it give in to the pressure, he gasped quietly, releasing his lip and quickly putting his hand over the injury, assessing it and prodding the wound.

It... Hurt.

It was painful.

Why...? He had asked himself.

It was to cause pain, injury, but what did that really mean? 

Why...?