Chapter 3: Conflicts

Chris's POV

I can't believe she has a boyfriend. I should've figured it out. She's way too pretty to be single. Why do I even care? It's not like we're dating. I just thought we might've had something special.

Did she even flirt with me, or did I imagine that? Why would she do that knowing she's taken?

I don't like the way Justin treats her, like she's a piece of meat he can devour whenever he wants. I would treat her like the princess she is. I'd do anything for her. Uhh, why is the one girl I want taken?! That's just my luck.

"Hey Chris, get over here!" My basketball buddies yell. I shake my head and jog over to them.

"Hey guys, what's up?" My best friend John puts his arm on my shoulder. "Nothing, just waiting for our number one power forward to show up. I'm hurt man, we're supposed to be best friends." He holds his hand over his heart with a pout on his face. He's such a girl sometimes.

  "I'm sorry Johnny Boy. You know I didn't mean it." He perks up when I say his nick name. "We're good man. Where were you though?" Uhh..

  "Oh you know, I just ran into my psycho ex." I lie. They all groan sympathetically. "Sorry dude, she was a bitch." John says. "Yeah." Everyone says in unison. I laugh. "Chill out fam. It's not a big deal." "I guess not. Now let's get to class before we're all late you buffoons." We all laugh as Michael books upstairs. "He is such a nerd." John shakes his head. "It's better than being a dummy like you." I say. Everyone goes crazy. "Ohhh, you got roasted!" "Whatever man. You know good and well I was just playing. Why do you have to take it there?" He sulks away.

Great now he's mad at me.

"I'll see y'all later." I start walking to first period. My first is AP Chemistry, so I have none of my friends in this class. Most people don't take it Junior year, or at all.

I take my normal seat in the middle of the class. I love Mrs.Sullivan. She's an erudite teacher. She really cares about her students and wants us to succeed. I'm one of her favorites. You could say I'm a teacher's pet. I'll do anything I can to aggrandize myself. It's hard in this world, especially for a black man.

I hear a thump and look up. Justin has Veronica pinned against the door while kissing her.

Are you freaking kidding me?!

***

Veronica's POV

As soon as we get to my class Justin starts kissing me.

He's such a sexual guy. He can never get enough.

"Justin, stop it!" I push him away and slap him. Chase barks ferociously and stands in front of me, blocking Justin from coming anywhere near me. Chase stares him down like he's hunting his prey. If looks could kill, Justin would be six feet under right now. He looks at me and Chase in utter shock as he holds his cheek.

  "What's your damn problem today?! First you don't want to make out in the hallway and now you won't let me give you a goodbye kiss." He says angrily. "I'm sorry, I'm just not in the mood today." "Fine, when you're in the mood come see me. I can't deal with your shit right now." He storms away.

Oh great, he's pissed. What if he breaks up with me? I can't take all this stress.

As I walk into class I feel eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. I decide to ignore it. I take my seat in the back and put my head down. The bell rings.

  Can't I catch a break?

  "Okay class, do your warm up and hand in your homework assignment from Friday." Ooo this is exciting. I take out my homework. "Chase." He gets up and puts his face in my lap. I hold out my papers. "Take it." I point to Mrs.Sullivan. He trots away and stops in front of her. He paws at her leg. She jumps a little, then smiles when she sees him.

  Mrs.S loves Chase to death. She's been a dog person since she was born. She has a yellow lab named Misty. Her and Chase are best friends already. It was love at first sight.

  "Hey boy, what you got there?" She takes it out his mouth. She smiles. "Oh, it's Veronica's homework. How nice of you to bring it to me for her." She pets his head. He accepts her praise humbly.

  He usually isn't allowed to be pet by other people because he needs his full attention on me at all times. He can't sense when a seizure is coming if he's distracted. I don't let anyone touch him when his harness is on, but Mrs.Sullivan is an exception. He walks back to my table and lays down at my feet.

"Alright class, we'll be doing a project for the next month." The class groans. "Oh, be quiet. It's a fun project. Now, you will be creating a new chemical product. For example, you could design a new perfume or makeup."

Oh my gosh. This is gonna be epic.

"Testing your products on animals is strictly contraband. If you do that, consider it an automatic F. You will also be dismissed from my class, permanently." She says sternly.

  Well Damn.

  "I've already chosen your partners, so no need to worry about that." Kill myself. "Alright, I'm going to read off the pairs." She picks up a paper. "Anna with Charles, Violet with Arthur, Veronica with Chris..."

  Oh my god, shoot me now.

"Now disperse and meet your new partners for the month. Try to become friends. You'll need to be able to work together efficiently." Everyone gets up and goes to their partners. I whip out my rose gold iPhone 6s and open snapchat. I take a picture of myself looking mad and caption it 'when your teacher picks your partner 😒'

  "Umm.. Hello." I look up and see Chris standing above me. He doesn't look happy to see me. "Oh, hey." "Mind if I sit here?" He puts his hand on the back of the empty chair. "No, of course not. You don't have a choice anyway." I say scathingly. He looks put off by my remark. "Geez, you don't have to be so rude about it. What's up with you?" He sits down and stares into my eyes. The way he stared at me was so intense. I had to look away.

  "It's nothing, I'm just being the self righteous queen I am." I say sarcastically. He shakes his head and slams his hand on the table, causing everyone to look at us.

"Now that right there is your problem. You are so sarcastic and fake! You take nothing seriously. Why do you act like this?" He said venomously.

  I wasn't mentally prepared for that. He's always so nice and outgoing. I never thought he'd talk to me like that. I feel a tear roll down my cheek. He notices and freezes, his mouth slightly open. "Veroni..." "No." I cut him off coldly. I get up and run out with Chase on my heels.

  I go outside and slump on a table. I bawl my eyes out. Why can't I ever have a good day? One without problems and stress. What did I do to deserve this?

  He's right about one thing. I'm a vitriolic bitch and I hate myself for it everyday.

~~

Uh oh, Problems already? I hope you like the story so far. I really enjoy writing it. If you want to share your thoughts, my door is always open. I welcome feedback with open arms 😇.

Votes are greatly appreciated 💖

I'm trying my best to update as frequently as possible for y'all. Tennis season is kicking off tomorrow, so my schedule with get even more hectic. I also have cheer tryouts all next week. 🎀

  ~Autumn 🍂