Chapter 6: Old Wounds

Shelby's POV

  "You're a player and I'm done being hurt by you. Stay away from me."

  The second those words left her mouth, my heart dropped. I don't understand why I have these feelings. She's just a girl... But she's not just any girl. She's MY girl. I realized that when I watched her run from me, like I'm a deadly disease. If I don't go after her now, I'll never forgive myself.

  "Lexi, WAIT!" I run after her. It's kind of hard to keep up since she runs track. Another thing I love about her.

  She runs towards the track. I freeze. I know where she's going. She's going to our place.

Flashback

  It's a hot day to be outside, but I am. Softball is my passion, even though the sun is killing me. I breathe and prepare to pitch. I give her my signature smirk before I throw. As always, it makes her blush. The split second she looks away I throw a curve ball. It throws her off slightly, but she still manages to hit it. I catch it and throw it to first base, getting her out.

  The crowd goes wild. We switch to infield, me stepping up to bat. I kiss my bat and get ready. She winds up and pitches.

  One..not yet... Two.. Almost there ... THREE! I hit a home run. Everyone cheers while my team hugs me to death. I won the game for us.

  "Nice job, Watson." Coach Sanders slaps my back. I sip my water. "Thanks Coach, but it was a team effort." He smiles. "You're such a humble one, you're going places in life." I smile. "Aww, thanks Coach." I hug him. "Alright, enough you're all sweaty." He wrinkles his nose. "Okay, bye." I grab my bag and walk out the fence.

  I look around for my out ball. I keep each one, I have nine so far. This would be number ten.

"Looking for this." I turn around and my heart stops. I see the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She's exotic looking, with gorgeous tan skin, curly hair, and blue eyes.

I shake my head. "Yes. Thanks for holding it for me." She smiles. I feel myself go weak in the knees. "No problem, you played very well out there." I smirk. "So, you were watching me?" She blushes. "Yeah, I had nothing to do after track practice, so I figured why not?" I smile and shake her hand. "Shelby Watson and you are?" "Alexa, but everyone calls me Lexi." "Nice to meet you Lex."

"Oh, here's your ball." She puts her hand out. I wrap my hands around hers and feel a spark. She jumps. "Did you feel that too?" She nods. "Why don't you keep my ball. I have nine already." She smiles. "Thank you." She pulls me down and kisses me softly. There's fireworks and time stops. It's just us in this moment. We pull away and catch our breath.

"Man, I should give my balls away more often." We laugh. She slaps me playfully. "You better not."

End of Flashback

I finally get here to find her sitting on the grass where we first met two years ago. Her head rest on her knees while she cries. I approach her slowly.

"Hey." She lifts her head. "So you do remember." "Of course I do. How could I forget the place where I met the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." She scoffs. "Oh please, if I'm so beautiful, then why'd you cheat?!" I sigh. "It had nothing to do with you. I was just starting my high school career. Girls were throwing themselves at me constantly. I got caught up in lust. I never meant for you to get hurt." She laughs like a maniac. It scares me a little.

"You don't think I got hit on too! Of course I did, I still do. But I loved you so much, I couldn't stand the thought of hurting you. You were everything to me. I guess I wasn't for you." "You are important to me, Lex. I messed up bad, but I'll never do it again. I promise." She wipes her tears and studies me seriously.

"Okay, if you mean what you say, I need you to prove it." "Anything." "Say it." I frown. "Say what?" "Tell me how you feel about me." I run my hands through my hair nervously. "You're really special to me. You're insanely beautiful and kind. You're my everything." She smiles briefly and laughs. "What now." "You can't say it." I sigh. "What do you want me to say! I told you how I feel. What else can I do?!"

"Tell me you love me." My blood runs cold. "You know I can't do that." She nods. "Because you're afraid of commitment, I know. I wish I'd never fallen for you. Then, I could find someone that will love me completely. But no, I fall for a player that can't commit. Some luck I've got."

I feel terrible for hurting her, but if I tell her how I feel, she has the power to break my heart. I can't let that happen.

"I'm sorry." "No, I am. I should've never found your stupid ball." My heart drops.

She gets up and digs in her bag. She pulls out my ball from two years ago. She hands it to me. "Here, I don't want any trace of you anymore. Have a nice life." She turns around and walks away. "Lex." She turns around. "You know I want you in my life." She smiles sadly. "I know, but it's not enough for me. I need someone that can declare their love for me to the world. Not a player that can't commit. I hope you find what you're looking for because I'm done." She walks away and this time I don't stop her.

  I sit on the grass and break down. I love her so much, but I'm afraid to tell her. She could play me, then I'll be heartbroken. I can't live with that. She's my everything. Life without her isn't life at all. I'm such an idiot.

  What have I done?

***********

Hey guys! Shelby has some serious commitment issues! Will she work through them or lose Lexi forever?

Vote & Comment ❤️