Secret Marriage

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

Lydia woke up with beads of sweat forming on her forehead. The words continue to ring in her ear again and again. She wanted it to stop, the dreams, the flashback of that dreadful day and the horrible reality that settles in every time she dreamt of her wedding day.

It isn’t the wedding she hates. No, in fact her wedding can only be described as something like ‘a dream come true’. Every detail was met to the way she wanted her wedding to be. Being married at the same church her parents got married and decorated with white lilies and light pink carnation flowers with light pink drapes and ribbons.

Nothing went wrong during her wedding and the reception was outstanding, especially her wedding cake. Six round layers on top of one another, smallest on the top and biggest on the bottom. Clean background of white fondant, decorated with elegant light pink flower and edible pear beads from where the layers are connected.

Everything was perfect except for one thing. Lydia wasn’t marrying the man she’s in love with. In fact, she’s marrying the man she despite for five years now. Three before they got married.

She had been working as a personal assistant in the same company for six years from now but her old boss had retired due to his age. She didn’t loose her job, she was an asset to the company and that’s why they decide to make her the personal assistant of her next boss for the past five years now.

From the start, she never likes him. She sees him as an arrogant, self-centred, selfish, have a large ego and an asshole after he wanted to fire her because of her appearance. She was only saved by her rights and the head of the board members. But she couldn’t believe it when she heard those two words that came out of her new boss’ mouth ‘You’re fired!’ and that was all because she’s average looking.

She have natural fat-curly chestnut hair, she’s fit but not fit enough to be called ‘sexy’, she’s naturally tan, she have a heart shape face, button-nose, small lips and her odd violet eyes that she love the most about her appearance.

She had wanted to quit her job so badly but she can’t afford to be unemployed.

She was only twenty-five years old at that time and still live in her parent’s house. Not so she can save money but to support the whole family. She had five more siblings. The triplets who are entering university at the beginning of the semester while working part-time. The fifth child or the third child if you count the triplets as one, who have two years left in college before university and the youngest who have two more years in high school before going to college.

They owned a café where the triplets works and her other siblings when they are not busy. Her mother never worked since giving birth to the youngest due to her weak heart but things had been difficult for them every since her father died during a car accident two years ago. Her mother had tried to work at the café as much as she can take for half the year and due to the stress, she spends nearly a week or two in the hospital every month and things are getting worse for her mother.

The doctor had told her that her mother needs a heart transplant but the money from the café and her salary wasn’t even enough to pay for it.

This is when her life turns up side down. A deal she made with her boss, just so she can afford to pay her mother’s heart transplant and her siblings can go to university, college and school instead of stopping to work and help pay off the bills.

 The deal was to get married with conditions, conditions that must be kept secret at all times.