On Din'an Hanin

The place was old and falling apart. Dust and rubble covered the floor of the tomb, but he still looked awestruck. Every piece of writing we found, every statue and engraving, his eyes light up. The whole time he looked on the verge of tears, both out of amazement and sadness.

I think this was the first time the realization hit me. The first time I felt personally guilty over the loss of his history because of my people. I wanted to pat his back as he read a writing, with tears in his eyes, of the loss of elven immortality, but I couldn't.

After, back at Skyhold, he had noticed my guilty feeling. He told me not to worry that night, that he didn't blame me. Still I couldn't sleep. I stared at his thin face the whole night. "I love him so much," my only thought. "I don't want to lose him to the past."

Unconsciously I had reached out my hand to stroke his ear. From its base to the pointed tip. A violet eye of his quietly year opened, and a small smile curled from his lips. "It's really okay. I love you." He whispered. His arms wrapped around my torso, before he pulled our bodies closer together as he drifted back to sleep.

-A page from Dorian's journal. Written after their journey to Din'an Hanin in the Emerald Graves