Be Ready Beautiful

Craig held my hand and started to dance in circles around me. He held my waist and started grinding.

“Oh my gosh!!!” Maya screamed. “YN YOU BETTA GET IT!”

My eyes widened as he was dancing like Chris Brown…again!

A few hours of dancing got me tired. Maya wanted to stay, so Craig offered me a ride home. It was already almost midnight and my parents wanted me home by 1 am, so I had time. My stomach was rumbling, I haven’t eaten since lunch at school. Craig helped me walk down the stairs, since my leg was hurting. “YN, would it be okay if we could go to get something to eat? I haven’t eaten yet.” He asked. “Yea, I haven’t eaten either.” I said, giggling. We got into the car and drove off. As we pulled up to the red stop light, Craig looked at me. “You know, I haven’t really talked to you much, you know?” he said. “We didn’t get to really know each other well…”

“Oh…right…” I said, shyly and looking down.

“Sooo….what do you like to do in your free time?” he asked. I looked down at my arm, looking at the scars. That’s all the free time I actually got to do. But then I thought about all of my journal entries I’ve written and my piano playing skills. And when all went wrong, I’d usually dance or sing… “Well…I write, play piano, sing and dance…How about you?” I said. “Well, I also sing and dance, and I play basketball.” He replied. “We must have a lot in common.”

“Favorite food?”

“Chicken and fries.” He replied.

“What the heck Craig, are you reading my mind?” I said, joking. He laughed as the light turned green and he drove again. “Favorite color?” he asked. “Red.” I replied.

“I’m so mad at you YN…shake my head.” He said, laughing. “That’s my favorite color!”

“WELL SORRY!” I laughed too. “Fine, then who’s your favorite singer?”

“Chris B-“

“I give up!” I said, raising my hands and smiling. “I give up!” Craig started laughing again, along with me. “Well, I was gonna say Chris Boyle, but okay!” he said. “Who’s Chris Boyle?” I asked. He chuckled. “I’m joking, yeah you got me, and it’s Chris Brown.”

We had pulled up to Popeye’s and I immediately turned exhilarate. Although I had fried chicken last night, I was in for some spicy chicken and fries…and biscuits. We went inside to get ourselves each a small box of a meal. At the table, I sat down waiting on Craig to get the drinks. I looked through my phone and went on Facebook. Maya posted the picture of her and that dude she was dancing with, making out. -___- This girl’s gonna get in TROUBLE!

“Yea, and we had another argument on one of our dates. It was pretty much a disaster. I was gonna give her a promise ring that night. But I had realized it wasn’t working out well, so I waited until something happened, then I would know why I didn’t give her the ring.” Craig said to me, talking about the steps in his relationship with Shanayah. I held his hand when he shed a small tear. “It’s just that…I thought this would have worked out between me and her. She was my first girlfriend. We’ve only been together for 5 months, and she blew it by cheating on me. This whole entire time, she’s been cheating on me. I should’ve never fell for her.” He continued. “Craig, it’ll be okay. The way Shanayah was giving an attitude…that was not the type of girl for you. Being honest.” I said, politely. He nodded his head and looked at me and smiled. “Thanks for being with me tonight after…the incident.” He said. “You’re welcome.” I replied. He kept staring at me, really deep in my eyes. He started to lean in, as I did, and then…

As he leaned in, I thought about my past. I wasn’t ready for love. I wasn’t ready for a relationship. I wasn’t ready to go further with Craig. We only met yesterday. But what if it’s “love at first sight”? But sometimes, I don’t believe it. I don’t want to…And he just got out of a terrible relationship. As he was about to place his lips onto mine, I shook my head and put my finger on his lips. He stopped and opened his eyes. “I’m sorry Craig, I’m not ready, at all…” I said, quietly. “Oh,” he said, looking down. “I’m sorry, I thought you were going to kiss me too.”

“It’s okay. It’s just that…We just met yesterday…and you just got out of relationship…It’s kind of complicated to do something that quick Craig.” I said. He held my hand. “I understand.” He said. We continued to eat our food in silence. It was pretty awkward. I felt his eyes drawing me. He kept staring me down like we’ve known each other for years. There was something about him that makes him look so familiar, but I don’t know where to point it out. “So, YN, have you thought about going to the foster center tomorrow? Maybe I can pick you up…” he said, breaking the silence. “Yea, I have nothing better to do.” I replied. I saw him flinch and hide the biggest smile in his jacket. I giggled a little. Is he that excited to see me?

After half an hour, he finally drove me home. We kept giggling and laughing at some of the funny jokes he made. He turned on the radio and the song “A Woman’s Worth” came on. I heard Craig singing along to it then turned to me and sung to me as he kept turning back and forth to the road. I smiled a little as he sung to me. His beautiful, and angelic voice projected through the car. I heard nothing else but the background music and Craig’s voice. The car filled up with euphoria as he kept singing his heart out to me. My heart melted in exhilaration. The ride went smooth and tranquil. We finally pulled up to my house, where the lights were on and my parents were home. I saw in the window that they were play fighting a little and I saw Mom giggling a little bit. I hope one day when I’m married, I get to have a marriage like theirs. Craig helped me get out the car and walked me to the front door. I took out my keys and then I accidentally dropped them. As I kneeled down to get it, Craig tried to get it, then when I got the keys, I looked up and his eyes were staring right into mine, AGAIN! I couldn’t stop starring into his eyes, once again, I say, they’re dangerous in the good way. I couldn’t help myself but trace my finger down his smooth chocolate skin on his face. He bit his lip and raised his eyebrows. “Thanks…for everything today Craig.” I said, softly. “You’re welcome…YN.” He replied. And at that moment, instead of kissing him on the lips, I kissed him right on his cheek, and he immediately gave the biggest smile I ever saw from this week. We both giggled. “I’ll see you tomorrow?” he asked. I nodded. “Yea.”

“9:30 morning, be ready,” he said as he walked to the car. “Be ready, beautiful.”

…Be Ready Beautiful