Pause

I woke up the next morning, doing all my hygiene business and got dressed.

I went downstairs and saw Drake and Nicki talking. “You leaving already?” Drake asked me. I nodded. “Where?” Nicki asked. “I’m going…to the foster center to help out with the kids.” I replied.

“Isn’t that like miles away from here?” he asked.

“I’m going with a friend.” Nicki looked at me. “Who’s this ‘friend’?” she asked. “Craig…” I replied. “NO! Who this boy? Where he from” How old is he? Does he get good grades-“Nicki interrupted Drake. “Baby, leave her alone! She’s 17, let her be!”

I started walking backwards as their conversation kept going on. My phone vibrated and it was Craig texting me. “Outside.” And he put in a heart emoji…three of them. I walked outside and saw Craig in his car and scrolling through his phone. I knocked on the window and he looked at me and smiled, then he got out. “Hey YN.” He said, hugging me. I felt confused of his behavior, but I just went with it. “Hi…” he opened the door for me and looked at him, smiled a little bit then sat down, strapping myself in. He bit his lip and closed the door, then finally got himself in and we drove off.

The car ride was silent. I guess I should’ve said something cool about the party from last night. I had a great time, but then at the same time, I didn’t feel right. We pulled up to the foster center, which looked really quiet. We got inside and no one but Jamie was there. “Hey YN and Craig!” she greeted. “Hey Jamie.” Craig said, looking over the room. I looked confused too, so I finally spoke up. “Where’s everyone?”

“Well, there was an open house for anyone who wanted to adopt a child. So, since there was only 14 kids here, they were all taken in. Some of them went in with the same parents. And then there’s only 3 babies left in the nursery. The twins, Lilly and Layla, and then Michael.” She said. I was surprised that all the kids left and were adopted. I smiled. I was happy that the kids didn’t have to be in here forever. Craig and I walked into the nursery and the twin girls were playing with the doll house and Michael was bouncing a miniature basketball. “Hi guys!” Craig said as he approached them. The twins got up and hugged Craig, since they’ve known him for a long time. Michael stayed playing with the ball, minding his business, I guess. I walked up to Michael. “Hey Mickey.” I said, sitting on the floor. He looked right at me. His hazel eyes dazzled in the light, his cute small and curly locks of hair was shiny, his smooth cute and chocolate skin like Craig’s were…smooth! And his adorable dimples brings out his cute smile. He looked at me, with the pacifier in his mouth and smiled and waved. “MMM!” he said, holding the ball in his hand. “The ball? You want me to take the ball?” I asked. He took the pacifier out his mouth and put it on the counter then came back to me. “BALL!” he yelled. I giggled and took the ball gently. “BOUNCE!” he said. I started to bounce the ball a little bit and Michael clapped his hands together. “BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY BALL!” he said. I laughed at his little funny dance. He jumped up as the ball bounced to the floor. I heard Craig over in the corner chuckling at us while he was playing with Lilly and Layla. I looked at Craig and smiled. I’ve never had as much fun with kids in my whole entire life.

After a day of playing with the kids, they ate, changed and played some more. When it was time for Craig and I to leave, we put them to sleep. As I was about to walk out with Craig, Michael sat up and tugged on my bag. “YN. YN.” He said. I walked to him. “What’s up buddy?” I asked. “HUG!” I smiled when he whipped his arms out to me. I gave him a bear hug and he giggled a little. I kissed him on the forehead. “Goodnight Michael.” I said. “Night-night YN.” He said as he lie down and slept.

After our day at work, we both got paid $150 each. It was already almost noon time and I didn’t have anything else to do when I got home. “So…YN…” he said, breaking the silence. “You wanna go chill at the movies?” I smiled a little, I haven’t gone to the movies in so long, I don’t even know what’s out right now. “Sure. What are we seeing?” I asked. He smirked a little. “It’s a surprise. I haven’t seen it, but I heard that it’s very good…and dramatic…and romantic.” He said to me. He whispered seductively when he said “romantic”. I smiled a little as he kept staring at me when we stopped at the red light.

We had pulled up to the cinema, and it wasn’t packed. There were about 20 cars there. Maybe nothing good is out. I left my bag in the car, only taking my wallet and phone with me. We walked through the parking lot and I felt Craig’s warm and soft hands hold mine. I looked down and smiled. “Why the hands Craig?” I asked, giggling. He shrugged and pulled me closer. “Never let you goooooo...” he sung “Boyfriend” by Justin Bieber, wrapping his arm around my waist and leading us into the building. The smell of popcorn and pizza hit my nose. I’m still wondering what we’re going to see. “Two tickets…Temptations.” He said to the movie employee. Craig took out his wallet and gave the man $24 and we took the tickets and headed off to the concession stand. “You want anything?” he asked me. “Just a cherry slushy.” I said, looking all quiet and shy. “No popcorn?” he asked. I shrugged. “I’ll get a large popcorn, one for us to share, just in case you get hungry. Is that okay?” he asked again. I nodded. Why am I acting so shy around him all over again?! I don’t understand! AIN’T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

As the movie started, Craig looked at me. “If you get kind of uncomfortable, just tell me.” He said. “What’s there to be uncomfortable about?” I asked. He shrugged. “I just want to make things feel right.” He said. Later on throughout the movie, there was a romantic kissing scene. (I haven’t seen the movie, so bear with me, it’s a romance movie so I’m just saying that.) I felt Craig’s hand touch mine again and held it. I looked away shyly, smiling hard. I picked up my slushy and drank it, so I could stop acting weird.

After the movie, we went outside to go leave. In the car, Craig said. “There’s one more place I want to take you, before it rains.”

We had pulled up to a park, where no one was there. He better not do anything bad or Imma whoop him. We walked along to the pond and sat down, watching the ducks and birds. Once AGAIN he held me close around my waist. We had talked more and more, I got to know the real him. He’s really shy, but when it comes to girls, he’s on a roll! I felt a drop of rain hit my shoulder. I ignored it, and continued the conversation with Craig. He’s a really sweet and caring guy, I don’t understand why Shanayah would cheat on him. Suddenly, the rain started to pour down fast and we were both soak and wet. We hurriedly rushed to our feet and tried to get to the car, but Craig stopped me. “YN, wait.” He said, stopping me. “Wha-“ I turned around, he pulled me really close to him and kissed me, right on the lips…