Only To Find Out

Craig put me down and turned around to see…Shanayah. Of course. Why does she have to come up and here and ruin everything? “Hi…Shanayah.” He said, quietly. “It’s nice to see you and…her.” She said, looking at me with her death glare. I ain’t scared of no Kim Kardashian wanna-be (No disrespect to Kim…), cheating, lying, betraying chick tryna come up in here and ruin my fun week with Craig. “So, Craig? You got my text?” she asked, putting her hands on her hips. “What text?” he asked. “The text on…what I needed to talk to you about.” She continued, giggling a little. He rolled his eyes. “Never.” He said, grabbing my hand and bringing us back to the picnic set. I was pretty nervous right there. I thought the conversation between them would continue…and unfortunately…it did. She rushed over to our set and continued to be her annoying self again. I put my sunglasses on and lied back, minding my own business before I blow up and curse in her face. “Shanayah, get away from us.” He said, politely but frustrated. “I just want to talk baby.” She said, twirling her hair. I started clutching on the blanket, trying so hard not to release my anger towards her. “Don’t you even start with that mess Nae, so once again…GOODBYE!” he yelled. A few people looked at us, shocked. I sighed. “But Craig-“

“Didn’t you hear him? He said GOODBYE! That means ADIOS! That means GET AWAY FROM US!” I said, sitting up. “Don’t talk to me like that, YN.” She said, kicking sand in my face. I quickly swept my face with the glasses taken off and immediately tackled her to the ground. Shanayah had NOTHING on ME! I continued to give her punches to the face without pulling her hair. I grew up in a thug house so I knew how to handle this. I made one more punch and blood came dripping from her nose. Craig quickly pulled me up from her with my bikini top almost untied from fighting her. “GO AWAY SHANAYAH!” Craig yelled louder. The commotion brought attention to the crowd at the beach. A lot of them shook their heads, some of them pointed at us and kept talking. Shanayah got up, brushing the sand off her body. She touched her nose and gasped. “You made my nose bleed?!” she screamed. I got out of Craig’s arms and tackled her again, finally she realized that she was losing so she tried tackling me, and it turned out into a major brawl. That’s when the life guards, Craig, and other older guys had to try to get us off, but they were scared they’d get hurt. Then I heard sirens as I continuously fought Shanayah. One policeman got me off of Shanayah.

I felt so bad for Craig, I ruined the day by fighting Shanayah. Now that I’M the one who’s about to be taken to the station, I don’t even know how Craig would look at me now. Would he regret kissing me, spending great times with me, maybe even ignore me forever? I sat at the table with Craig’s sweater on. I wasn’t taken in handcuffs, thank God. My leg was shaking. I was nervous. I wasn’t ready to go to jail and get my record declined from colleges. It was just not the time. I did not want to be part of a criminal history. “So, YN, what happened?” the officer asked me. I started telling her what had happened since I’m the one who started the fight. Well…I started the physical fight, Shanayah started the conflict. I continuously told the whole story and the officer, whose name is Officer Jones, kept nodding her head in agreement. “I’ve been through the same thing YN. I have. I have empathy for you both…” she said. She took out the files and read through mine and Shanayah’s files. Her face made a very puzzled look. “Um…YN?” she asked. “Do you know Shanayah?” she asked. “Yea, I just met her when I started school last week.” I replied. “Why?”

“Well, it says here…that you and Shanayah…have the same father…” she said.

My face went completely blank. “Wait…WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I screamed in terror…

“T-t-this cannot HAPPEN! IT CANNOT! IT’S ALL WRONG!” I said, tearing up. “I’m sorry YN, that’s what the DNA tests say.” She replied. Oh my gosh, I’m so done with life, I’m so done with everything associated with living, I’m so done! I started crying in frustration. Shanayah CANNOT be my sister! SHE CAN’T! Officer Jones dismissed me. I stomped out the room, angrily opening the door and making my way into the hallway where Craig sat, talking to a policeman. I stood next to him at the bench. The policeman walked away. Craig stood up and held me tightly. “Please…don’ EVER do that again YN. Please.” He said in his begging voice. I let tears fall down my cheek. I looked at him. “I have some bad news to tell you, Craig.” I said. “What is it?” he said, as we both sat down. “The officer had both Shanayah and my DNA files…they said…we have…the same…dad…” I said, looking down. His mouth opened a little bit. “Wait…so you’re saying, you guys are sisters and you guys are finding that out TODAY?! 17 years after you were born?!” he asked. I nodded, letting more tears stream down my face.