Chapter Seven.

On my way back home from the lake, I started past the school. Realizing I accidentally left my homework in my locker, I rolled my eyes and entered back into the school building, dripping wet.

"Hey, Higgins! You're getting water all over the floor! I haven't even swept yet!" The school's janitor, Stan, leaned again his usual spot on the wall. "What're you doing back here?"

"Hi Stan," I said weakly. "I forgot my homework in my locker."

"Again? Sheesh," he laughed. "Well, go ahead. I wasn't planning on sweeping for another twenty minutes anyway."

"Thanks Stan! I figured," I said cheerily. "Waving goodbye to him, I walked up the staircase, trying to keep my balance. I hadn't jumped in the lake in my shoes, but I put them on while I was still soaking wet, so I was at high risk of slipping. I applauded myself when I reached the top of the stairs completely fine.

I walked past the sea of lockers to find my own. Putting in the combination, I swung it open and grabbed my bag. I started to hum White Owl by Josh Garrels to myself, and turned around.

"Oh my gosh!" I screamed, dropping my bag. Peter stood right in front of me, chomping on some potato chips. "Hey there."

"What are you doing here?" I gasped, still too shocked to be ruder.

"I had detention. Turns out the janitor keeps a watch on the kids, and he doesn't really care what we do. Plus, I was the only one."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "You've already gotten detention? This is what, the third, fourth day you've been here?"

"Its one week today." He grinned. "Want some?"

"No thanks, not really that hungry."

He then raised his eyebrow. "Watching your weight, hm?"

"Is that a fat joke?" I hissed.

"No, you're actually pretty thin. I was just wondering. Pretty much every girl is watching her weight."

I brushed off my shirt for no reason other than something to do with my hands. "Well, I'm not like those other girls."

He smiled tentatively at me. "I know. You've proved that time and time again."

We stood there awkwardly, neither of us really saying anything. I didn't know what to do, or what to say. I hated that stupid grin on his face. He didn't have to be so adorable. It would be so much easier to hate him if he wasn't.

"I didn't even know we had a detention room," I said lamely, after about a minute of awkward silence.

His eyes lightened. "We don't. You just go to the teacher's lounge, and believe it or not, its actually not that comfortable. More comfortable to sit on the floor than to sit in a chair."

"Geez, really?" I laughed, but it was almost like a shrill. Why was I so nervous?

"Yeah. C'mon, I'll show you." He motioned me to follow with his hand. "By the way, why are you soaked?"

I looked down at my clothes. They had dried a little in the sun on the walk here, but they were still pretty damp. "I went swimming."

"In your clothes?" He laughed, and looked over his shoulder at me. "Can you not afford a bikini or something?"

I stook straighter, feeling rather irritated at this conversation. "I don't wear bikinis. I think its disgusting. Its like standing in your bra and underwear." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Plus, its so degrading to watch as guys drool over you like dummies."

He shrugged. "Don't blame me. I never thought that bikinis were really appropriate either. But don't tell the guys that. They'd make fun of me forever."