Chapter Six

"You my friend, are some different kind of lucky," Kasey said in awe.

I poked at my macoroni, not really interested in food at this point. "I'm sick to my stomach. He's gross."

"No he's not. You're just mad because you like him. And by like him, I mean like like him," she chirped.

"Thank you, for that immature yet inaccurate observation. I don't like like him. I don't even like him."

"Whatever! None of your grouchy butt lies are getting in the way of my marvelous mood!" Kasey said boldly. "Did I tell you how Mitch asked me out?"

I almost choked on the sip of lemonade I just took. "You mean he finally did it?"

"What?" Kasey asked, frowning.

"Never mind. Go on. He asked you out?"

"Okay, whatever. Yeah, he did! I forgot to tell you how I am so over Kyler. Its not like I even really knew him anyway."

"I agree to that," I muttered. "Anyway, what did you guys do?"

She giggled. "He took me to dinner and a movie. So simple, yet it was so cute. He held my hand as he walked me home, and even kissed me good night. You should've seen him, Molly, it was like he was floating on air! How sweet!"

"Well, duh, Kasey. He's been nursing a crush on you for ages."

She stopped mid gush. "I never knew that! I totally would've talked to him sooner if I'd known."

"You know how things go. Never according to plan. Never how we would like it."

"Like you and Peter?" she said slyly.

I growled, pushing my tray away from me. "No. Not like me and Peter," I said, practically spitting his name. "I don't want to talk about it."

"I'm so excited. I can't wait for you to actually start writing a little romance. It would definitely spice things up a bit."

I was actually a little hurt by her comment. "You don't think my writing is good without the romance?"

She paused, realizing her horrid mistake. "No, Molly, that's not what I meant."

"Its what it sounded like," I said, my tough girl demeanor falling, revealing the more sensitive side of me. "I thought you liked my writing."

"I do! I think you're a fabulous writer. I was just saying that romance would make it a little more... Interesting. Not that your stuff isn't interesting already."

"Whatever." I was quickly trying to rebuild my posture. "Not like it really matters. I know my writing's good."

"Molly, I'm sorry. I really hurt your feelings."

"What?" I laughed, cursing the tears welling up in my eyes. "Don't be dumb, Kasey. It wasn't like a personal jibe or anything."

"But it was," she whispered. Her eyes started to well up, too. Crap. Kasey was the little innocent one. I shouldn't be acting like such a baby over one stupid comment.

"Kase, don't do this. Don't cry. Its fine, it really is. You'll mess up your mascara!" I cried, panicking.

She started to sniffle. "I hurt your feelings! I'm such a nasty-"

"Stop!" I said firmly. "I'm fine, see?" I pointed at my face. "Happy as a kitten with yarn."

Sniffling once more, she smiled weakly. "Alright."

"Geez, give me a heart attack."

Kasey patted her eyes with a napkin, skillfully avoiding her makeup. "I really do think you might be starting to like Peter, Molls. Why don't you just give him a chance? Are you really trying to be alone the rest of your life?"