The Silence We Share *WattyClans Contest 1.2*

Round two of WattyClans contest! I'm up against the wonderful Sparrowheart838 though so this might be my last round in this contest lol! Without further ado, here is my best effort for my prompt saving a kit.

--

      "Talk about mouse-brained!" Swanwing laughed, waving her tail. A white tom glanced up, letting out a loud mrow, blue eyes bright. Swanwing glanced over her soft-furred shoulder. "Oh sorry, Snownose! I mean..." She looked over to a pale fluffy brown tom, who was also on the patrol. "How do you say sorry, Reedwhisker? I forgot...." Reedwhisker scoffed, his eyes narrowed with an annoyed expression. He swished his tail slowly up and down, with purpose. Snownose blinked, reading the sign.

'I'm sorry,'

Reedwhisker must be apologizing for Swanwing... She's never been the most considerate about signing out her words. She's always accidentally saying things with her tail. Snownose flicked an ear.

'It's okay,'

      They were on a four cat border patrol. They hadn't even gotten to the border yet, and the two were already at the beginning of a quarrel. Swanwing and Reedwhisker never really get along, Snownose thought. They were just at the top of a ridge overlooking the River Valley, tall grass up to their chests.

Swanwing's face lit up, she had a single dark patch of fur in between white ears.

"Oh, Reedwhisker, that mean's apology accepted, right?" Her tail was high and ears pricked. Snownose watched intently, seeing the sign for 'stay alert.'

Swanwing glanced over her shoulder again to the white tom. "I'm so sorry, Snownose!" She quickly waved her tail up and down. "I just keep forgetting that he's deaf..." She whispered to Reedwhisker. The fluffy, creamy brown tom scoffed, padding ahead of the patrol. Mothlight, the last member of the border patrol, padded closer to Swanwing to listen in on her story. Clouds drifted lazily across the dull blue new-leaf sky, rays of sun just poking through to warm their pelts.

Snownose dropped to the back of the patrol, watching his clanmates. That's all he could do. Watch. They have some kind of language I've never been able to understand. Their mouths move, and the others somehow know what they're saying. I suppose they've chosen to not let me in. He glanced over the top of the ridge that they were patrolling, the crest of the river was in the valley. A few of his fellow WetClan clanmates were at the waters edge, and he watched as one flashed their paw in to hook out a fish.

"Hey, Snownose!"

"Swanwing, I swear to my ancestors, he can't hear you." A flash of a bushy pale brown tail caught Snownose's attention. Reedwhisker beckoned with his head, his eyes soft with patience.

'Come on.'

Snownose bounded after the patrol, sniffing the air. Minnowclaw, the deputy, liked to put Snownose on border patrol due to his heightened sight and smell. He let out a loud surprised Mrow! as a scent drifted across his nose. Swanwing sighed.

"Does he have to be so loud..?" she whined quietly.

      "I'm tired of telling you, Swanwing, if you say one more thing--" Reedwhisker's fur was bristling, but Snownose was waving his tail wildly for attention. Mothflight let out a shocked gasp from where he stood, a few fox-lengths away, overlooking the valley.