NINE

Dedicated to Mistalee_ for leaving all those lovely and funny comments! Thank you, girl! If you're looking for hilarious yet sweet books, don't hesitate to take a look at her profil. You will find plenty of them there :)

Four weeks.

I had four weeks left to find out what happened to Malloreigh, four weeks to change my faith. And most importantly, four weeks to break my curse.

Every day that passed by, was are day gone to waste. There wasn't much I could do here while I was still in the forest. That is why I had to leave it.

Father's request to see me seemed like the best option. Maybe I would find some clues there. It was after all the place where it all began. Who said it couldn't be the place where everything ends, too?

My aunts were hesitant about leaving the forest, they feared that something would happen to me. They always seemed to be worried nowadays.

Aunt Kara wore a constant frown. And even Aunt Melody, who had never gone a day with at least smiling once, hadn't cracked a smile for the past few days. Dark clouds seemed to have overshadowed our minds.

But my aunts weren't the only ones who were worried. Fear had once again found its way into my mind, reflecting in my dreams in the form of Malloreigh. Every night he would haunt me while I was asleep. His dark eyes drilled into my soul, his laughter echoing in my mind.

Sometimes I wondered if maybe there was no reason for his dark heart. What if he really just enjoyed torturing others?

But then a voice in the back of my head would tell me to not lose hope, to hold one to that small piece of light. Sometimes I listened to it and brushed away the dreadful thoughts. But sometimes the voice was too faint and too far away to reach me. Then I would stay up the whole night, wondering about my future, and how much of it was left.

The bottom of my dressed brushed against the grass as I strolled through the forest. I took a deep breath of the fresh air as I tried to remember as much as possible of the place I called home. In only a few hours, we would leave for the kingdom.

I didn't know when and if I would come back. Father requested my immediate presence at his castle. The letter he sent my aunts two weeks ago didn't reason his demand, though. My aunts were hesitant about following his request. But now that I knew about my past, my real past, they had to let me get to know my father.

"Isn't it a beautiful day, Ray?" I sighed as I strolled through the forest. Ray let out a long crow as he swung through the air.

I breathed in the smell of fresh grass, a smile appearing on my face.

Before I knew it, I found myself back at the clearing. Memories of Philip rushed through my mind. I had avoided this place for the past week. I wasn't ready to face Philip after what happened the last time I saw him. I didn't even know if he would be here.

I looked around, it seemed as if no one was here. The feeling of disappointment settled in on me. I didn't know why, thought. Maybe it was because of the fact that I hoped to see him again, even if it was just for one more time before I left for the kingdom.

Taking a deep breath, I swallowed down my disappointment. After all, this was my last day in the forest for a long time, if not forever. I wanted to fill this day with happy memories.

I looked around one more time, my ears awaiting the sound of Doner. But nothing happened.

My mouth formed into a sad smile. Maybe it was for the best, I thought.