chapter 5: First date

At six o'clock, I was all prepared, waiting nervously in the lounge. I had decided to dress up, my mum helping me to decide what to wear. I was wearing my new black jeans, a button-up collared white shirt and a black jacket; giving the illusion of a tuxedo. I hoped I didn't look too formal.

I caught sight of my reflection in the window and felt even more anxious.

"I hope this turns out ok... I feel like an idiot, getting all dressed up like this... I hope he dresses up as well; else it will be awkward... "

I then imagined myself getting picked up by a casually dressed John and then taken to a frequent teen haunt; only to have John get embarrassed by me and ditch me.

I gulped and watched the clock's minute hand tick slow around the clock, becoming increasingly nervous as it hit half-past and then quarter-to. At seven, I had taken to pacing up and down the hallway, glancing at the door; expecting that knock that would decide whether or not I would forgive John whether or not I would love him.

At seven-ten, I was starting to lose hope that John was indeed coming for me until I heard a knock at the door.

Feeling like a million butterflies were fluttering around in my stomach, I rushed to the door and opened it slowly. All my anxiety melted away instantly as I beheld a handsomely dressed John.

"Hey Damien." He spoke cheerfully, beaming widely. "Sorry I'm a bit late, my car wouldn't start." He explained, laughing slightly.

I smiled and nodded slowly, not really paying attention to what he was saying. I was busy trying to stop myself from running into the teen's arms to kiss him right then and there. I realized I was grinning stupidly and stopped instantly. I pulled out my personal organizer. Trying to put how I felt into words, I paused and stared at the screen.

"You look so... nice."

John chuckled when he saw this.

"And so do you. So, should we off now?"

I nodded, pushing the doorbell twice, I walked out the door. When John gave me a questioning glance, I explained;

"I ring the doorbell twice when I'm going out. It's better than searching for my mum just to tell her I'm leaving."

He nodded.

"Oh, that's a good idea... I guess you have quite a few little things like that to help you out, ehy?"

I nodded and wrote about the bells in my bedroom, bathroom and toilet.

"Wow." He breathed, staring at me in wonder as we continued down the pathway.

We walked through the little picket gate and to a gleaming green car parked in the gutter. John dug his hands in his pockets and brought out jingling keys.

"This is YOUR car?"

"Yup. Saved up all my money to buy it." John explained as he went around to the driver's side and unlocked it.

"Isn't it awesome? It's fairly new, has sub-woofers and shiny mags..."

I got into the passenger side and buckled up my safety belt, listening to John go on about the features.

"He must really love his car... I think it's just like other cars, only shiny..."

I thought, gazing at John as he started the ignition and pulled away from the curb, telling me about the engine.

"Man, I wish I could understand what he's saying... "

"... And it can play MP3...You look really hot tonight. Why aren't you wearing your glasses?"