Fresh Start

Did it have to rain on my first day?

The thought makes me groan as I look out through the windows in the kitchen. The dark green grass is covered with a shiny coat of water that could lead to me slipping and likely soaking my sneakers. Great. I make a mental note to get a pair of boots on the weekend.

"Are you almost ready?" My mother's worried voice comes from upstairs. With a very distracted mother, I learned that she asked this not to make sure I would be ready , but rather to ask whether or not she is taking too long. My mom is not a very "mature" parent, seeing as she frequently leaves messes around the house and I'm the one who drags her out of bed. "Are you?" I reply back.

Some banging and a few seconds later my mother is walking to the coat rack, probably forgetting that it's right over her arm. "You know that when you paint, you usually just paint the canvas right?" I point to my forehead, indicating the place where a very vibrant shade of pink is blotted on hers. She chuckles and puts on her pea-coat. With a lick to her index finger, she wipes it off and begins to gather her papers. This is normal.

But my mornings were never always like this.

Usually I would be bringing up inside jokes with dad while he made me breakfast. But Dad's not here anymore. We're in a new house, a new place without him. Ever since my mom caught him cheating over the summer and decided a new home would be better, I hopped in the car without looking back
                                                                                                        {{{{}}}}

"Have a good day and remember to make friends!" My mom exclaims as she looks at her reflection in the little compact mirror from her purse, making sure no paint residue still marked her face.

"Do I have to go? Can't I just be home schooled? Isn't there a study that says something like home school students being smarter?"

Even with a puppy face, my pleading is met with stubborn ears. "Aha. Now please don't do drugs and try not to join a cult or something."

Try as I might, a laugh escapes me. "I'll try not. Love you." Tucking a stray piece of hair that escaped her bun behind her ear, she gives me a hug.

"Love you too, honey bun." I smile at my mother as I open the door and step onto the rain soaked sidewalk.

As she drives away, I immediately take in the school.

With dark red brick walls and ivy snaking along them, the school emits a powerful feeling of intimidation. The school in general is huge, twice the size of my old one. Teens are running to the front doors, with umbrellas and hoods pulled over their hair.

A drop of water hits me in the eye and reminds me that my thin jacket is quickly being soaked by the droplets. Pulling my hood over my dark hair that, although I just straightened, is now turning wavy with the rain, I start to turn to the doors. Picking up my pace, I hurry to the entrance.

As I run, the only thing I can see from behind my hood is the wet concrete. Whispers meet my ears.

"Who's that?"

"Isn't that that new girl?"

"What does she look like?"

The quiet conversations aimed at me make my cheeks warm. Moving to a smaller town, I should have expected the news of my arrival to spread but it's still a surprise to hear.

I tuck my chin underneath my jacket collar and block them out. Slipping through the doors, I stop and sigh. Telling myself that I need to calm down and get my schedule before I can turn into a human tomato with all the redness that is quickly stinging my face.