Intruder

Each time that I opened my eyes to the morning light and realized I'd lived through another night was a surprise to me. After the surprise wore off, my heart would start to race and my palms would sweat; I couldn't really breathe again until I'd gotten up and ascertained that it was all but a terrible nightmare.

I got up and fixed myself before Clarisse and Bianca noticed what a mess I was every morning. I went to the bathroom, did my morning routine and change clothes. I went to the kitchen to prepare some breakfast. Mom left a note:

We won't be back until next week, something happened. We'll let you know when we get back. Love, Mommy.

It's pretty unusual for them to leave me with just a note. I shrugged, put the note on the bin and started cooking for our breakfast. I was almost finished when I heard Clarisse and Bianca coming down. I laughed at how they looked. I put the foods on the table and sat down.

" Good morning ladies. Come, let's eat. I'm starving. " I told them.

" Where's your Mom and Dad? " Clarisse asked.

" They left, said they won't be back til next week. " I said.

" You'll be left alone here? " Bianca asked, astonished.

" Of course not. You'll stay with me. " I stated, crossing my fingers. I'm hoping they'd say yes.

Clarisse looked at Bianca before she looked at me. " That's fine with me. After all, I'm like your boarder here." 

" I think I won't be any kind of company at home so I guess I could stay here for a few days. " Bianca smiled.

" Well, that's good! " We finished our food and went to school.

School that day wasn't fun at all. We had our geometry and I had a lot of difficulty with it. I really felt awkward everytime I see our new classmate. He's name is Shane McFadden. The figure of speech cold shoulder seemed to have some literal truth to it. I could feel the warm air blowing from the floor vents, but I was still too cold. I took the jacket off the back of my chair and put it on again. 

My fourth hour class got out late, and the lunch table I always sat at was full by the time I arrived. Good thing Bianca saved me a seat. I'm pretty much absorbed with my nightmare that I noticed after a while that we were sitting beside some of the students from some of our subjects. I wondered how long they'd been sitting here, unable to remember if this was the first day or something that was a regular habit. 

I was beginning to get annoyed with myself. I might as well have been packed in Styrofoam peanuts throught these past few days. I tried to catch up with the conversation but someone caught my attention.

He was there again. Sitting next to our table, watching me. He smiled when he saw me looking at him. I frowned. Jessica --- who was our mate in geometry notice him also and looked at me.

" He was looking at you. " she said.

" I don't care. " 

" I think he wants to talk to you. He's pointing at you."

True to what she said, I saw him point at me and points at the seat beside him. I didn't like the idea so I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. I pretend to eat the food in front of me. The table got quiet so I looked up and saw him standing right behind me.

" Would you mind if I excuse her for a while? " he asked them.

" No, it's okay. Anyway, we're heading for our class. " Clarisse said, winking at me as they all go.