Another Night

I woke with a start - my eyelids popping wide open - and gasped. 

Raindrops pouring in my window, took the place of the blinding sun in our home.

It was only a dream, I speak to myself. I took a deep breath, and then jumped again when I saw the time. When I went to brush my teeth, I was almost surprised to see the face in the mirror. There were creases on my forehead, my eyebrows stayed lodged in a worried line over my anxious brown eyes. 

It was just a dream, I reminded myself again. I skipped breakfast, in a hurry to get out of the house as fast as I could. I wasn't entirely able to ignore Mom and Dad so I had to spend a few minutes trying to act cheerful. 

I struggled to get a grip on myself as I drove to school. That dream was hard to get out of my head. I focused on the road instead. Surely I would see some of my friends walking. I could let them ride with me. I didn't see anyone as I pulled into the familiar parking lot behind our school, I spotted my bestfriends. They were waiting for me, just the same as every other day. 

Clarisse and Bianca were my very best friends. We've known each other since we were kindergartens. I slammed the door of my car and walked slowly toward where they waited. Clarisse skipped forward to meet me, her pixie face glowing under her long wavy black hair. 

" Guess what? " she asked me eagerly as we made our way to where Bianca still waited. 

" What? " I asked, glancing around to see if some of our friends are there too.

" Mom finally let me sleep over your place. " she said happily.

" Oh! Well, that's ... that's great! Wonderful! " I said dully.

She seemed to process my mood. " Janna, what's the matter? "

" Nothing. I'm just a bit bothered, that's all! " We reached Bianca then and as expected she had process my mood quickly by just observing my face.

" What's bothering you? Is it because of the slumber party thing Clarisse is planning? " Bianca asked.

"No, it's not that. I'm just bothered with my dreams again," I answered anyway, and my voice was not as steady as I wanted it to be. 

" Your dream? Was that the one you told us before, the one where you're in a dark place? " Bianca asked.

I sighed, " Yeah, Well! I think... Let's not talk about it anymore. I'm getting tired of it anyway."

" Why don't we go and eat an ice-cream sundae after classes? " Clarisse interrupted, keeping her tone light though it's visible in her face that she's somewhat worried too.

" That would be a great idea," Bianca said.

" What time will you be at the house? " I asked them, changing the subject.

" I didn't know I had plans to be there tonight. " Bianca answered.

" Oh be fair Bianca! " Clarisse complained. " You aren't going to ruin all our fun like that, are you? "

" I thought it's going to be on Saturday, not tonight! "

" I'll get her from her house right after school, " I told Clarisse, ignoring Bianca.

" I have to work, " Bianca protested.

" You don't actually, " Clarisse told her smugly. " I already spoke to Mrs. Harris about it. She's trading your shifts. "