War Criminals

Aizha

I hadn't been to school in about two days. Had barely left the bed. Donovan was actually home for once taking care of me.

"You probably pregnant." He suggested as he brought me a bottle of cold ginger ale.

I shook my head unconvinced.

"It's just a weird period." I insisted.

"Well I'll be happy either way. But if you are you better give me a son." He said pointing his fingers at me like a gun.

My stomach was beginning to rumble. I literally couldn't think of the last time Donovan and I had sex.

"It's just a weird period, Donovan" I repeated.

"Didn't you just get off your period though?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Yeah you did, we had sex in the shower and you had blood running all down my legs."

My memory brightened up as I remembered. Maybe it was Donovan's baby then.

"What you got planned today? You can't keep sitting in the house all day." he said.

"Going to the mall with Jade and Asali." I responded rubbing my temples.

"Okay pick out some baby clothes you like." He said handing me a stack of bills.

"For a boy, dont forget." He walked out of the room smirking. "Oh yeah I'll be out most of the day working," he added.

________

We were standing in front of the Bubble Bakery, when Jade asked me what was wrong.

"Just not feeling well." I replied to her as I picked up a shampoo bar and sniffed. Eww. Too earthy.

"You think you're coming down with something?" Asali asked holding up a cotton candy scented jar of bath beads. Eww. Too Sweet.

I sighed heavy getting irritated by their interrogation.

"You know it's pneumonia weather." Jade added.

"I'm pregnant." I said abruptly, looking away from them both.

Asali's eyes widened in shock. Jade's lit up with light.

"Azzie's having a baby!" She started to sing. She could be so immature.

Somehow I hadn't noticed a sadness wash over me.

"Are you ready for a baby? I mean realistically." Asali asked with a seriousness to her tone.

I felt my heart skip as I thought about the realness of my situation. I'm pregnant and I don't know who the father is. I thought.

I walked out of the store and sat on the round bench near the food court. The mall was mostly empty. It was early.

My eyes were heavy with tears as Jade grabbed my hands. She was holding them telling me it would be okay. I wanted to scream that it wouldn't.

"I slept with Duke!" I blurted out with a sob.

She stood back surprised.

"My brother?" She asked with a nervous laugh.

My chest began to shake. I just nodded.

Asali was wiping my eyes with a tissue from her tribal printed purse.

"He might be the father." I said.