28. Aleks Is (Not) Okay

Faded - Alan Walker

//

As if a switch was flipped on inside of him, tears started pouring out of Aleks' eyes like waterworks. Was he too late? Did Kevin give up and move on already? A month would be sufficient time for a charming and handsome guy like him. And New York would be the perfect escape for him: he would have new friends a fresh set of pretty girls and boys to lay his hands on. Aleks wiped his cheeks furiously. How could he be so stupid?

First he dumps the love of his life because he's afraid of being cheated on, and because of some petty family drama, and a long lost lover. Then, he ignores all of his calls and messages like an ignorant son of a bitch, acting so hurt and heart-broken, when in reality he was the one who did the dumping. And then, when he finds out about Kevin leaving for New York, does absolutely nothing about it.

Well, he did try to call him, but of course he was too fucking late. It rang, so Kevin's phone was turned on and not yet left at airplane mode. But it got cut before going to voicemail so... with a tight gulp, Aleks accepted that Kevin declined his call purposefully.

He went to wash his face, and glared at his red-faced reflection in the mirror.

This is your fault.

He wiped his face with a towel.

For once something goes right in your life and you screw it up.

He wraps himself up in his blankets, and even though it's quite warm outside, he closes his eyes and falls asleep shivering.

You're just a jaded memory to him now.

//

Aleks woke up with a jolt. He yawned, and took notice of his buzzing phone. He blinked a couple of times before dazedly grabbing it. The bright screen blinded him, but he squinted and read the caller ID. The painful drop he felt in his heart when it wasn't Kevin couldn't be helped. He answered the call.

"Eddie?"

"What are you doing? Are you free?"

"Um, not really..."

"Okay whatever come over right now."

"What the fuck?"

"Don't have time to explain, bring your backpack and like a portable charger or something, this is urgent."

"Do I have to?"

"If you're not over in half an hour I'm gonna break into your house through your bedroom window and drag you over. Get the fuck up and come over!"

"Okay, okay."

In just under twenty minutes, he'd washed his face, slipped into a fresh set of clothes, and brushed his hair. Opting not to follow Eddie's orders, he simply stuffed his wallet into his jeans pocket and headed over to Eddie's.

//

"Dude, what was so important that —"

Aleks was cut off by Eddie grabbing his elbow in an iron grip and dragging him up to his bedroom. He slammed the door shut behind him.

"Have you tried to contact Kevin?" Were Eddie's first words. He stared at Aleks with wide and expectant eyes.

"Um, no," Aleks lied through gritted teeth.

"You fucking pussy," Eddie rolled his eyes. "It's been almost four weeks since Kevin left, and you two are still ghosting each other? Unbelievable. Especially on your side."

"Can't you just let me suffer alone in silence?"

Eddie wrinkled his nose.

"No. Duh, I'm your best friend."

"Ugh. What did you drag me here for? I was in the middle of a very nice nap."

"Fell asleep crying over your hot ex-boyfriend again?"

Aleks glared at Eddie, who looked away, seemingly looking for something.

"Actually, yeah."

Eddie swivelled around, and started rummaging through his schoolbag, desk, shelves. Aleks frowned.

"What're you looking for?"

"Just... give me a second, okay?"

Aleks watched Eddie reach his hand deep into his schoolbag, his face twisted in frustration. Finally, he seemed to have found whatever he was looking for, and his entire face lit up.

"Aleks... this is for you," Eddie returned his hand, opening his palm in an offer.

His eyes went wide.

//

short but extremely necessary chapter just to kinda keep the flow of the story going :)
last/second-last chapter coming right the fuck up