The Moment

When he responded. My heart was racing. My head was spinning. My eyes were ready to stream the waterfall. I had many panic attacks that night waiting for a response and didn't sleep much that night. He finally responded 27 hours later....

"I'm not gonna leave you without reply, because it's at least something you deserve. My mind is racing right now and I can't give a well thought out response even a day later.

Here's all I can deliver now...

Sarah,
you are one of if not my best friend. I love you for telling me how You feel if it were the other way around I would have told you, because you also listen before you act and say what is necessary. My point is you put your heart on the line and that takes courage and I love you for that.

In response though,
I know age is just a number and I think there have been times where we just connect so well and I considered my feelings for you myself. Right now... I'm 20 and I'm still trying to get my life together. There's most definitely a distance problem and if anything happens I don't want to lose you as a friend. I need you as a friend. I won't let this get between us. I promise. "

And there I sat. In the courtyard where we sat having lunch together on my first day of high school. Waiting for the tears to come.