Saying Goodbye

Madison P.O.V.

Once we were done eating breakfast together as a family, except for my dad cause he works in the morning, my mum took all of our plates and put them in the sink. She’s so nice.

“Wow it’s already 11:27” my mum said sadly “time flies doesn’t it?” I knew she was holding back tears. I mean we weren’t gonna see her for about 3 months. I was about to hug her but Zayn stood up from his seat and beat me to it.

“C’mon mum don’t cry” Zayn said holding her tightly. I stood up and hugged her as well so it was now a group hug.

“Yea mum. We’ll Skype and call and text. We’ll keep you updated on how we’re doing” I said trying to cheer her up.

“Yea and you’ll have dad here with you” Zayn added. We all just stood there for about 5 minutes in a group hug in the middle of the dining room while my mum cried her eyes out until we pulled away. I wanted to cry too but I bit my lip holding the tears back. Once we put our suitcases in the car and said goodbye to our mum again we drove off. Zayn never let me drive even though I thought I was quite good at it.

“Hey Zayn” I began

“What”

“Can you stop by Luke’s? I wanna say bye” I asked him.

“Why”

“C’mon Zayn. I’m not gonna see him the entire summer”

He sighed and said “Fine”

We pulled up at Luke’s house and I got out of the car and walked to his front door.

“You got 5 minutes!” Zayn yelled from the car. Whatever.

I knocked 3 times and he answered. He was in nothing but sweats. I tried not to look at his toned stomach. His black hair was ruffled and he was squinting his eyes. And he didn’t have his earrings on.

“Yeah?” his voice was rough. Probably has a sore throat.

“Oh I’m leaving and I just wanted to stop bye and say goodbye” I said with a smile.

“Alright well bye” and with that he shut the door. I just stood there as I felt the tears stinging in my eyes. Did he seriously just do that? I looked over and saw Zayn looking really angry. He had his fists clenched and his jaw tensed while getting out of the car but then the door opened again.

“Aww I’m just messing with you babe” Luke pulled me into his embrace “I’d never do that. I thought it was funny but I saw your expression and I’m guessing you didn’t think the same”

“You dick don’t you ever do that again” I said hitting his arm and hugging him back. I wrapped my arms around his waist and looked back and Zayn got back in the car but I could tell he was still mad.

“I’m gonna miss you loads babe” he kissed the top of my head.

“I’m gonna miss you too sweety” I kissed his bare chest.

We just stood there hugging when Zayn started honking. Douche.

“Well I’m guessing you have to go now” he said looking down at me.

“Yeah” I said

He pulled out of the hug and started to lean down to kiss me when Zayn thought it would be funny to honk again scaring the shit out of Luke. I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Good one Zayn” he yelled waving his hand towards the car.

“Hurry up Maddie!” Zayn yelled avoiding Luke.

I gave Luke a quick kiss and another hug before walking back to the car.

“Stay beautiful!” he yelled to me. I started blushing. He was so sweet. Well sometimes.

Once I got back in the car Zayn started laughing really hard clutching his stomach and nearly falling out of his seat.

“What’s so funny?” I asked when he calmed down a bit.

“That guy is so cheesy and corny” he said smiling.

“Oh shut up and drive” I said looking out of the window not wanting to look at him. He stayed quiet but I knew he was starting at me.

“You know that joke wasn’t funny? When he slammed the door in your face” he spoke up sweetly. Did he feel bad for me or something?

“It’s okay. I mean I knew he was joking anyways” I lied and shrugged still looking out the window.

“Oh that’s bull Maddie! I saw you! You were about to cry!” he said. He took my hand in his and rubbed circles with his thumb. I turned around to face him.

“Maddie you know if he ever does anything to hurt you I’ll always be there to protect you” he said looking into my eyes. I knew what he was referring to. A long time ago Zayn thought Luke was cheating on me with some girl but I never believed him. He just wanted me to break up with Luke I bet. Plus Luke did play rough sometimes. When we would play games he’d shove me too hard.

I pulled my hand away out of his grip and turned to look out the window again. Why does he always say stuff like this? It’s not like Luke would ever hurt me anyways.

He sighed and started the ignition before speaking up again.

“Look I’m just trying to warn you. I’ve said it too many times and you still won’t listen to me” I stayed silent “Fine but he’s gonna screw up and when he does don’t come crawling back to me cause I won’t be there” he said angrily.

Great. Now I made him mad. I just stayed quiet and didn’t say anything. He drove off and the car filled with silence.