//Chapter Two\\

The next day I was taking my usual morning walk through the woods when I heard something snap behind me. I spun around, only to see Newt with a sheepish expression on his face. "Hey Katy. Sorry, I didn't mean to sneak up on you like that." I relaxed a little bit. I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone in the woods with just any of the guys here but I knew I could trust Newt. "Chuck told me about the little bet that some of the guys made... you wouldn't happen to be involved in any of that, would you?" He sighed. "Involved in it? No. But I might've heard a few rumors that a bet like that was made. But Minho, Alby, me and a few other gladers have been watching out for you just to make sure they didn't do anything they'd regret." I nodded understandingly. "I'm surprised you weren't a part of that," I teased. "Trust me I have better things to do than waste time on crap like that," he retorted. "I'm glad. The chances of me dating any one of the guys here is less than nothing. It's pointless." I commented. Newt fell into step with me and we walked for a while before either one of us spoke again. "I have to say though, what you did to Gally last night kind of took me by surprise. I thought I was going to have to step in and tell him to back off but it's clear you can handle yourself. His face was priceless! Nobody is ever going to let him forget about it. Once everyone was over the initial shock of it, those shanks were laughing in tears!" I laughed. "Well I think he deserved it." Newt nodded in agreement. "You're right about that one, Katy." I shrugged. "Sometimes it's rough around here, not knowing which guys genuinely want to be your friend and which guys have other intentions." The conversation faded into silence. "Katy, you know you'll always be able to trust me as your friend, don't you?" "Of course. There are some guys like you, Alby, Minho, Chuck, and Zart that I know will never do anything stupid. Some of you I can trust. I don't think even Gally would do anything insanely stupid. Maybe he's guilty of some harmless flirting but I can handle that. Honestly it's the greenies that make me nervous. I just never know what to expect from them. I know nothing has happened yet but it could someday. I hate thinking that something bad would ever happen, but I am the only girl with all of you boys. The chances of something happening to me are high, you have to admit that." Newt looked at me with a concerned expression. "Kay, you know we've always had rules in place about what happens to anyone who even lays a finger on you with bad intentions." "But just because those rules and punishments are in place doesn't mean that nothing is ever going to happen." I said. "I know, and I hate that you have to worry about that. But you know that we will always protect you in any way we can, Katy." Newt slipped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him as we walked. "I know." "We're lucky to have you here with us, Kay." "I just wish we knew why we were all in the first place."

________________________

Hey guys! I apologize for the short chapters, but as I've said, I plan on updating regularly! Also I am working on getting images for my characters so I am very excited about that! Thanks for reading,

<3 Emily