Chapter 4: Daniel, Stephen and Jewel

A/N: The story carries the usual disclaimer: the characters bear no relation to living persons or real places and it is purely a coincidence that they have the same name as some people and places you may know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a Monday when we planned the get together, so I had to wait for four more days before I could meet them personally.

But before that, Raven told me I needed to join a club since the school makes it compulsory that every student is in at least one club.

I chose badminton since it’s the only club that does not require effort to think.

It’s a good club actually.. we train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. The 4th years and the 3rd years are good, but the ones younger than us are zero-knowledge about the sport. I guess I’m not the only one who picked this club for formality.

Try-outs are pretty easy. All you need to do is to return the shuttlecock to the other side of the badminton court. I passed and I am now officially part of the badminton club. Yay.

Since the freshmen and the sophomores left early, I got to play badminton with the Seniors. I won against one, but it was only because he was wearing jeans and couldn’t move well.

Badminton is a surprisingly fun sport. I ended up staying there until 7:30. I forgot to tell my aunt about the try out so I decided to take the fastest way home- a cab.

I hired one since my house is out of everybody else’s way. I told the cab driver to hurry and that I would pay double or even triple as long as he could get me to the address I gave him, within 10 minutes.

I don’t have a phone cause I don’t see it’s purpose - is what I’d always say but it was really because I lost it and I’m too shy to ask my aunt for a new one.

I looked out and realized that I didn’t recognize the road anymore. I asked the cab driver where we were going he didn’t say anything and continued to drive.

I won’t be like the dumb heroine and try to steal the steering wheel from the driver, cause I know it will never work. He stopped near a playground. We were under a huge tree, and one would never see if anything was up there even if they tried.

The driver got out of the car, I decided to stay inside, but he opened the door for me and pulled me out. Leaning on the tree were three other men. The driver called out to them.

“Hey. I got another one. Said she would pay any amount just to get where she wanted to go before her curfew.”

“The little miss is rich, aint she” sneered one of the guys leaning on the tree.

“Now be obedient and give us all your money, and maybe we’ll let you go unscathed.” The other one leaning on the tree added.

I was thinking of fighting back since I learned a thing or two about self defense while watching videos, but I had to get the perfect chance. I was still thinking of how to create one, when suddenly someone rushed in and punched blindly at the driver holding me captive. The punch was easily dodged by the driver but it shifted his concentration on the guy and I easily escaped from his grasp.

I was about to run away, but when I looked back, the guy who helped me was already captured. A plastic bag was at his feet, he was probably out shopping, but why would he go here? Whatever the reason, I couldn’t just leave him there when he tried to help me.

So I ran back towards them. Stupid move, I suppose. But I don’t like owing people my life.

“Oh, miss rich is back, this an acquaintance of yours?”