6

I sit on the edge of Demi's bed, refusing to make any eye contact with her parents. It's too tense for me. I feel like I'll either burst into tears when they find out the truth, or I'll slip into another flashback. It's easier to pretend like I'm not really here instead. I'll let Demi explain it all. After that, I don't know what to do. I guess I have to go back home.

"Someone start talking. Right now." Eddie demands, and I jump at the tone in his voice. You're fine. He isn't her. You're safe. I feel Demi's hand grabbing mine for reassurance. You're okay.

"If I'm going to explain everything, y'all are gonna have to promise to listen until I'm done. And you need to know that what I'm saying is the 100% truth. Alright?" Demi announces in a strong voice. Anyone can tell by the tone in her voice that she's completely serious.

I take a second to glance up at Dianna and Eddie. Dianna's face is already blotchy with tears; she won't manage to make it through this without breaking down in tears. Eddie, well, his expression is a little more stern. He's worried - the wrinkle on his forehead gives that away easily - yet he's holding Dianna with such strength. I wish I could be strong like that; strong enough to keep your emotions somewhat in check when you're about to hear something awful.

"We promise" Dianna replies, but her voice is barely audible. She's a strong woman, always has been, but today she looks so broken down. It's all my fault. Well, it's my parents really, but I was the primary person in this so yeah, my fault.

Demi tugs on my hand slightly, obviously trying to get my attention. I already know that she's trying to ask me if I'm ready, so I simply nod while looking down at my hands. I subconsciously start to pick at the damaged skin around my fingers, bringing them up to my mouth to meet the grip of my teeth. No one stops me.

"Okay, well I guess for this all to make sense you should know that Kalani did not try to kill herself since, well, she's right here" Demi starts with a nervous laugh, obviously trying to add some light to this shitty situation but her parents just send her glares. "Okay then."

I squeeze her hand as if to say 'I thought it was funny' to which she squeezes back before clearing her throat.

"I don't really know what to tell you guys first so I guess I'll blurt it out. Kalani's parents are drug dealers, have been since she was born and--"

"Still?!" Dianna gasps and I immediately lift my head up to meet her eyes.

"Still? What do you mean?" I ask, my voice quiet and tired. I immediately wince slightly as a pain shoots through my throat.

"I knew they took stuff when we were all at college, but I thought they stopped before you were born" Dianna admits, and I notice that she doesn't look at me. "I didn't even realize they still took them..." she adds, and I can't ignore the tear that makes its way down her cheek.

"It's not your fault. Trust me." I say, suddenly feeling angry at the memory of what my parents did. "They are not who you think they are."

"What do you mean?" Eddie replies, but I just shake my head and signal for Demi to continue. I don't want to talk about it anymore.

"Dante and Samantha were in a lot of debt" Demi says cautiously once she feels my hand squeeze hers tightly at the mention of my parents names. "They didn't have the money to pay the person back, so they came up with something else. They--"

"What did they do?" Dianna interrupts, and I can see that Demi's getting agitated.

"You promised you wouldn't interrupt me mom. I have to tell all of it now or else I probably won't be able to. It was hard enough even hearing it myself!" she suddenly yells, and I immediately remove my hand from her grip.