Chapter 1

Chapter 1

'A crime may be secret, yet not secure.'— Italian Proverb

HE was quiet uptight for a stager. It was a workaday job for him since fifteen. Gamble, then earn, gamble again and earn again, been caught sometimes when luck isn't kicking but has always a way of escaping. What concerned the young Parker was that he'd never use a gun before. He'd robbed a few stores with only a kerchief and a pocketknife and this one is something unusual. He fixed his coat and his bonnet in place when the group of hoodlums approached him. Parker had been recruited once passing the initiation of munching a handful of chili and smacking a police officer without getting caught. Weird as it may seem, but so far, he'd done it.

He only knew a little information of the group. Eris, a seventeen year old, once told him that their gang was a branch, a twig rather of a big syndicate. In that case, there's not much to worry. The more influence they have, the better the shield.

"Brace yourself, few minutes and we're off." It was Stan. The acting supreme leader among them when Greg Horton is not around. Stan was a bald man with a built physique. He was scary to look at because of the nasty scar tattoed on the center of his bulging right bicep. Half his face was ragged with scars and the thought of his grin showing no signs of white straight teeth would surely hunt you in your nightmares.

Parker walked towards Eris who was leaning on the parked motorbike. "Excited?" Eris greeted with a half grin. Parker only cocked his head showing no signs of emotion. "Let me drive." He murmured and shoved Eris out the way. "As you wish." Eris chuckled and smack Parker on the back. The engine roared to life and Eris abruptly swung his legs over the vehicle, place the helmet on his head and off they went racing into the narrow bedraggled streets of Birmingham.

It was past midnight and still, almost all the nooks and crannies of Birmingham is alive. Five motorbikes went past the busy squares without getting noticed. Exactly 1:36 am and the group of vehicles halted on the obscured part of the city. Each was parked on the intersections of the compound. The target was five blocks away. But safe enough to lurk in the dark without getting caught.

"I just hope the cops won't show up." Eris whispered in a rough voice. "What? I though everything's been calculated." Louis Parker replied sounding a bit agitated.

"Yes. I guess." Eris breathe. "I was first caught here. That mini grocery store over there?" Eris pointed across the street to a  french signage that says 'Tout ici mini'. "It was there. Cops often roamed the place between 9:00-10:00. So I guess its now safe."

"Wild guess. Did you told Stan about it?"

"No. That mutthead doesn't listen to us, rookies. He think he knows everything." Eris lingered a look at the empty pavements nervously rubbing his palms on his jeans. Parker shrugged and craned his neck on the wall. He could see the silhouettes of men sneakily walking on the pavements. One was Stan, that, he was cocksure about. He watched over them carefully. Once Stan raised his fist, it means move closer.

"Let's go." Parker hissed at Eris half dragging him by the collar.

"Wait! Hey, Loui wait!" Eris hissed at him grabbing him by the arm and pushing him on the wall. "What were you thinking? There are cctv's all over the place. One careless act and everything will break lose!"

Parker only stared at him and realized he was right. He'd been here before, so he decided to listen to Eris and be tactful of every move. He nodded and Eris released his grasp. "Okay, then you go first. I'll follow." The young man nodded and rounded the intersection. The two of them went ducking into the patio, edging closer to the stoned wall bricks.