a ѕweeт ѕoυl вeнιnd a тoυgн ѕнell

Chapter#01

"A Sweet Soul Behind A Tough Shell"

Some events can change someone forever. It maybe something you won't believe Right when someone says. But eventually you'll learn yourself. A few moments can change everything about you. And only a single person can be the key cause.

Let me tell you the story of mine. The one that made me a whole new person.

JOE's P.O.V.

It was a cold winter day. It was snowing and we just wanted to get out. After all New York was known to be a Winter Wonderland. Specially as it was time for Christmas. I was in the park with Demi. Christmas always brought back many precious memories for us. Maybe because it's the holidays that brought us together.

I met Demi a couple of years ago. It was almost Christmas. And the holidays were the time I had with my family. So I was with my family. I was joining with them for Christmas shopping. We had some last minute Christmas shopping to do. Even though I hated Christmas shopping, I always loved spending time with my family. My family always meant a lot to me. And they were always by my side. So Christmas always meant special family time. Who knew that Christmas would become so different and precious to me.

I was just messing around with my younger brother, Nick. Nick is only a year or a year and a half younger than me. But he's still my younger brother. We mess with each other a lot. We don't get to see each other a lot through out the year. But we try to stay in touch always. But both being so busy, it's not something we can say we always succeed at.

Anyway We were messing around with each other at a store where mom had to buy a few presents from. It was getting boring.

I didn't notice that there was a girl behind me. She wasn't intentionally standing behind me but she was there anyway. Nick was about to throw me a.......damn! I don't remember what he was going to throw. But Nevermind. I backed a little to catch it. And dang! I knocked the girl down. She fell down and screamed kinda louder than You'd expect her to. She was just asking for attention.

Anyway, since it was my fault I helped her up and I apologised. It wasn't supposed to be a big deal. Right?

Well, she made it a huge deal. She started yelling and insulting our whole family even though she had no idea who we were. Nor did she knew any of us. She just wanted attention and made a whole scene there. Everyone was starting and probably thinking what a bitch she was.

I was now beyond pissed. Like who the fuck she thought she was? So after she yelled for a while for no damn reason, I grabbed her by her arm. I didn't want to do that. But I couldn't help it.

"Listen, young lady. Who the hell do you think you are,huh? I said I didn't see you and I'm sorry. I've apologised for it. Don't you get it? You didn't have to such a butch! You have NO right to insult me for NO DAMN REASON! You don't know me. So shut the fuck up! There's no need for you to create a damn scene here for attention!Now I'm politely asking you to not create any more drama and leave." I kinda yelled keeping my voices as low as possible. I didn't want to be an ass. But hell, she deserved it. At least That's what I thought.

But To my surprise, I saw fear, deep fear in her big and gorgeous chocolate brown eyes. I didn't understand at first. I was confused. Why fear? Why wasn't she mad? Why wasn't her eyes furious? She was afraid. She was scared to death for some reason. I wanted to ask her what the matter was. But that wouldn't be a good idea. It was like I was hitting her or something which I had no intention to do. I just slightly raised my voice. There was nothing to be that afraid of. Right? Then why was she shaking?

I let go of her arm. I didn't want it to go further. But as I did, I saw her eyes getting teary. The light reflected on her eyes and made them shine with tears welling up. Was she about to cry? Was she that scared? Why?

That day I saw her leaving with an woman. Maybe a few years older than her. I just stared at her as she left what she was going to buy and just walk away not looking back again.

But what happened next, after that day was even more shocking. So here's how that story goes..

After a couple of days she was at my door, knocking. I was really surprised about why. It was the day after Christmas and she was at my door. I later learned that she was my cousin, Selena's best friend and her name was Demi Lovato. It really surprised me more. Selena and I are pretty close but I never got to know Demi. But at that moment, I understood that girl was different. Pretty different and I had to know her. But unsurprisingly this time, she wasn't a bitch. She was all sweet. She and Selena talked for a while and Selena even stayed the night when she had to go. I guess that was her sweet soul behind a tough shell. After that day, we became friends, really good friends to be honest. We hung out a lot and soon I really got to know her. She really was different and also someone you couldn't help but adore.

Soon I got to know her story. Her story? There's a lot to tell and a lot more to discover. But let me tell you the basic. The things she opened up to me about at first.
She was the middle child. She had two sisters and a parents. They were, well as far as she calls it, a happy family. But the bitter truth she told me was that her parents abandoned her. They left her alone with her so called 'boyfriend'.

But as They say - Behind every bitch, there is an asshole who made her that way.
Now I know what that exactly means.

It took her a while, but eventually Demi opened up to me about a lot. She told me everything about her past. Her struggles began from a very young age. Her father was abusive over her. At the age of four, she was raped by her father's friend. That took a toll on her mental health. She didn't really understand the whole thing but she was scared of men for a long time. But After her mom got divorced and remarried, they were a happy family. But after her 16th birthday, Demi fell in love with someone older than her. Her parents didn't know at first what he did to Demi. I doubt they ever got to know. But anyway he was abusive and treated her like total shit. And at a point , he got Demi pregnant. She was only seventeen then. Her parents instead of helping her out, they abandoned her. Left her alone on the streets. But that's when her best friend came in the picture. She took her in. But Eventually Demi lost the baby. She was again mentally sick. When She was eighteen, She couldn't stay with them anymore. So she left and never looked back. She stayed connected with her best friend. But she decided to leave all her past behind and start over. That's what she did.

Demi's rough past just made me fall in love with her even more. She's one of the strongest women I know. And I'm deeply in love with her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------