Your Friend

I was 23 when I moved into my aunt’s building with my three-year-old son. It was an old structure with a colorful history, and had been renovated beautifully. I had a two bedroom unit on the second floor. The light bulbs were the first thing. Immediately after moving in I found I was replacing them non-stop. My son blame it on “your friend”. I thought maybe it was his way of incriminating himself by blaming it on an invisible friend. One night my boyfriend was over, and we were all crashed out in the living room on a big mattress watching television. My boyfriend got up to make a sandwich in the kitchen, which basically is an extension of the living room. My son turned to me, and asked why that man was staring at us. At first I thought he meant my boyfriend Jeff, until he said, “Oh, it’s ‘your friend‘, that man with the big eyes that keeps turning off the lights.” I couldn’t follow, and when Jeff joined us on the mattress my little boy asked him why he ignored the man in the kitchen. We adults couldn’t see a thing, but my little boy was obviously communicating with something in the kitchen. I was freaked out to the point of shaking, but my son remained calm through it all. He fell asleep shortly afterwards oblivious to my fright, and I let the matter go so as not to alarm him. “Your friend” visited us quite a few times in the years to follow. I found it all very creepy, but since he never caused any harm, I remained in his haunt and endured the fright.