Chapter 3

Madeleine

            The rest of the day included a tour of the grounds and a summary of my duties. My kitchen maid duties mainly include washing dishes and chopping food. Cooking really isn't my thing, nut the extra money will help. Parlor-maid duties consist of around the house work like dusting, polishing, and answering bells. These tasks aren't very physically challenging, but each has very specific details in how they must be done.

I met Ann, the girl I was going to share a room with. Ms. Bartley says she is 25 years old and engaged to a baker from her home town. She seems pretty nice and outgoing but doesn’t talk much about herself. The room I share with her is in one of the four tall spires at each corner of the house. It is fairly clean, but very small like most maid living quarters.

 As grand and fancy as the house is, most of it is locked up due to lack of staff for cleaning. I’m told that the reason for the family’s cutbacks is none of my business and that I will know if it ever comes as important.

At dinner I meet the rest of the staff, I’m bad with names but some of their appearances stick out like the footman’s shockingly blue eyes against his stark, black hair. Niall’s here which I guess is a rarity for him to show up unless he absolutely has to. I have still yet to meet the family, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to face Lord Harry. He’s been following me all day and it’s quite distracting.

“Now that you’re acquainted with the staff, let’s go meet the family.” Ms. Bartley says. Ready or not, here it comes. I finish up cleaning the dinner plates then go and prepare the tea. My least favorite part of my job is washing dishes. My hands are already getting dry.  

I’m lead back upstairs where the family is gathered for tea in the main sitting room. Since I’m part of the lower staff, I won’t get a formal introduction. They’ve all been notified of my hiring and I’ll be serving their after dinner tea as introduction.

It’s a large, but cozy room with a grand fireplace on the back wall. The walls are lined with shelves filled with trinkets, pictures and a few books. Huge, plush chairs and couches are scattered around the space. I imagine myself cuddling up in one next to the fireplace and just reading for hours. Making sure not to make eye contact with any of them, especially Lord Harry, I lay out and pour the tea. Just when I’m about to leave, Lady Gemma speaks up.

“You’re the new maid, Madeleine, yes?” she asks looking up from her book.

“Yes, ma’am,” I say unsurely, she seems nice enough but I don’t want to answer any personal questions.

“Good, welcome to the house.” she says smiling then nods in dismissal.

“Thank you ma’am,” I say before backing out of the room.

As soon as I’m out of the room, I lean on the wall and take a deep breath. I never looked at him, but I could feel Lord Harry’s eyes on me the entire time. Why is he so fascinated by me? Does he think I’d be an easy snog? I shudder at even the thought.

“Are you alright?” a voice asks behind me. I jump and hit my head on one of the low hanging lamps on the wall.

“I was until you came along.” I say sourly rubbing my head.

“Now, that’s no way to treat a lord.” The voice says.

I look clearly at the person and realize its Lord Harry. Just my luck. “My sincerest apologies I didn’t realize it was you, please forgive me, I really didn’t mean what I said, I’m sorry.” I ramble on. Will I be fired for this? As first impressions go, this is about the worst one I’ve ever made.