Chapter 5

Dedicated to @kyrstin01 for being amazing. Also for being with the story from the start(:

Harry

That night in the kitchen, after she left, I stood there for a few minutes. Normally, I would have fired anyone who spoke to me in that way on the spot. I don’t know why I acted the way I did, she’s just a maid. A maid who’s going to help my pathetic parents find me I bride I don’t love, much less care for.

That morning, when she showed up at the door, I recognized her name immediately. Never in a million years did I think my father would hire someone like her, so I let her in to watch her run out of the house in tears after she’d been turned away. Sure I’m cruel but I need something to entertain my dead end life. When I found out she had been hired I went to rant to my best mate Niall. Of course he’s all head over bloody heels for her so he was no help. He wouldn’t understand anyways, he’s always had his own free will. In the life of aristocracy, your life is planned out before you’re even born.

When my mother told me the Paynes were coming for dinner, I knew that it was only to show off the new maid and my single status. Of course I ignored her, but it got me thinking of my old friend, Liam.

He and I used to be joined at the hip when we were young. Those were the golden days. I remember the time we dug a pit then covered it with blankets and tried to get Gemma and Liam’s sisters to fall into it.

That was before Lucy ran off.

When Liam and his family arrived to tonight, I tried my best to ignore him. As always, my mother made it impossible by practically shoving his near engagement in my face. I held my ground and shut out the conversation until my father had the guts to bring up my bloody single status. He’s the only one other than Liam that knows the entire history behind Lucy. Why she ran off and what it meant to me and why I hate marriage.

Ever since his deal with the coal company fell through, he’s become obsessed with money and I’ve just become a future investment.

Everyone has their breaking point and I hit mine tonight. The weight of my world came crashing down upon me and I ran.

I discovered this hole in the garden back when I was barely nine. A space in the middle of a circle of hedges. It used to be used to be storage for the gardener’s tools until he built himself a shed to protect from London’s rain. Vines had grown over the door and masked it from clear view.

Gemma and I had been playing blind man’s bluff with Liam and his sisters. I had been trying to hide from them by squeezing myself into the hedges, when I found the door. Over the years I had kept the place secret from anyone. There was an old chair that I stole from our outdoor furniture and a chest where I kept some blankets, books, and memories.

Now I’ve come here to hide from the world. I was so disoriented, I forgot to close the door properly. I know that when I hear the creak of the old, rusty hinges.

Madeleine

I know he’s heard me when his cries soften. At first I’m not sure if I should stay. Our situation is extremely improper and I feel like I’m witnessing a very private moment. Lady Anne told me to follow him, but what about when I find him? My mind grasps for something, anything to say to ease the tension.

“What type of flowers are these? I’ve never known a breed to bloom so beautifully in the winter.” My mouth says without permission. Stupid, silly thing to say. Why would anyone care about a bloody flower?

“Asiatic Lilies, very rare here. I got the seeds from an old friend, no one important.” He responds. Something in the tone of his voice and the perfect care to the flowers hint that the person was indeed very important.

“My mum used to plant all sorts of flowers in our garden. Every season except winter, there would be flowers everywhere.” I say walking to sit on the stone ledge next to him.

“I suppose that’s what makes these so beautiful.” He says after a pause. “The rest of the year, all of the other flowers are fighting for most radiant. But the lily takes it’s time to grow and mature until it is ready to face the cold, hard world on its own.” His eyes meet mine, trying to speak silent words that I can’t hear.

“When did you think of that?” I ask quietly.

“Just now.”

“You have an amazing ability with words. Have you ever thought of writing?”

“Yes, but my parents don’t approve.” He looks down. “They want me to take over my father’s business when they marry me off.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad. Your father has a successful business.” I point out which hits a soft spot. Harry suddenly gets up and storms to the door holding it open.

“I don’t even know why you’re out here. I didn’t ask you to follow me, much less tell me what to do with my life. Please leave.”

I decide to not argue with him and leave, flinching when the door is slammed behind me. My entire body is covered in snow flakes and I’m beginning to loose feeling in my fingers. Hurrying inside, I’m surprised how long I’ve been gone.

All of the lamps have been dimmed, and it seems everyone is in bed. The eerie quiet of the house is very disturbing. I hasten upstairs to go to sleep, when I am surprised to find Lady Anne waiting for me in the front entryway.

“Oh good, you’re finally back. Now tell me, where was he? What did he say?” She asks.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Yay update! Sorry for being behind, I honestly didn't expect the story to reach the goal that fast! This chapter isn't really edited so sorry for any mistakes.

 This Wednesday, I descent into the hellish pit called school and I need to finish my summer reading project :\ So no update until at least Wed or whenever I finish the project, sorry. Maybe more votes, reads, and comments will motivate me to finish it faster?