Alteration Chapter 8

Alteration

Chapter 8

Amelie

As Amelie walked into her apartment the first thing she saw was Erin on the couch hugging her legs and resting her chin on her knees, watching TV. Turning immediately to the screen she saw Erin was watching Smallville. That meant one thing; Erin had been watching TV all day and that only happened when she was sick or very sad. When Amelie closed the door behind her Erin turned her head towards her at hearing the noise.

“Hey” Erin pronounced really quietly, with a rather pathetic voice.

“Hi” Amelie said and turned towards the kitchen table to leave her things there but quickly turned back again “Smallville marathon, huh?” she said and bit her lips nervously at the end.

“Umm yeah” she replied with her voice a little raspy.

For a little more than ten seconds both of them looked around and did uncomfortable things.

“God Erin, I hate being awkward with you” Amelie almost screamed rolling her eyes swiftly.

“I’m sorry Amelie, please forgive me”

Amelie half-smiled saying “You shouldn’t be apologizing right now” and Erin replied with a little smile. She sat beside her and they gave each other a little hug.

“I’m actually dying to know where have you been all day but we needed to make up before I asked” Erin said, making her friend giggle.

Amelie started telling her all about her day as if she was living it right that moment, she was a good story-teller.

“You’re gone a day and you learn how to surf” said Erin quietly trying to sound funny but failed miserably because Amelie could tell in her voice that something was wrong.

“Amelie, you’re not falling again for Ian, are you?”

“Of course not” she replied quickly. “Why-why would you say that?” she stuttered.

Erin frowned. “Because I’ve never seen you talk about anything as happy as you told me right now”

Amelie scoffed and looked away for a second and said sarcastically “never?”

“Well, don’t get me wrong, you’re kind of… cold when you are with guys who want to date you but with Ian who always wants to hurt you, you’re the happiest girl in the world” said Erin and you could read confusion in her face.

Amelie looked away again for a second, she always did that when she felt uncomfortable about a subject “Well, I’ll just hang out with him a little, you know I wouldn’t get involved with him again” she spoke quietly.

“Just be careful, okay?” Erin said and placed her hand on top of her friend’s, and Amelie nodded with a smile.

They spent the rest of the night baking cupcakes and taking silly pictures, celebrating their amazing friendship.

The whole next week Amelie couldn’t take Ian out of her mind. Everywhere she went, every word she heard, everything she saw had something to do with him in her head, but at least she could still focus on school. There weren’t a lot of things that could distract her from schoolwork.

“You’re worrying me a little” said Erin walking by Amelie’s side carrying a tray with food to their favorite table. “It seems like you’re focused on something completely, but I don’t know what it is” said Erin playing clueless, but her suspicions were close to the truth.

 “It’s nothing” Amelie said quickly trying to change the subject “We should hang out with Dan and everyone today” she spoke with a tiny smile.