The Name Game

Feeling good :D BTW, thanks to storyriter for reviewing :D

***Joy***

I hate you Mikey McKenzie. I hate you. I hate how you’re so confusing.

I hate how you make me feel all weird and messed up.

I hate you.

I thought you were changed or something. Turns out you weren’t.

“Joy Annabel Somber,” I heard Cathy call me for the billionth time this evening, “Stop moping or I’ll take away all your bracelets.” Sighing, I stood up. “Cathy, I’m telling you, Annabel isn’t my middle name.” Her eyes widened and she threw the magazine she was holding to the ground, with the predictable stomp. “Yes it is!”

“It’s Elettra, Catherine.”

“Annabel!”

“Yeah?” Annabel, a brown haired girl with glasses popped her head in through the door. We waved her away.

“Elettra! You’re confusing me with Annabel! She lives next door!”

“Oh.”

“Damn right, ‘oh’ because it’s Elettra.”

We both burst into laughter. Cathy and her blonde moments. “Yeah, that’s like Electra in Italian, right? Your mom told me once. I forget that she’s Italian.” I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you roll your eyes at me, girl,” she said, glaring at me, “Hey, did you know Mikey likes Italian food? It’s on his facebook profile.”

Ugh. There goes Mikey again. Looking at his jacket again, which now hangs beside my totally awesome cloak, I frowned. “How did Mikey get into this conversation?” Cathy smirked as she took his jacket and walked over to my bed. “I don’t know, maybe when you go back here with a stupid grin on your face, smelling some guy’s jacket, it’s totally normal to assume that you’re hanging out with Mikey.”

“Well, you assumed wrong, ‘cause I’m not,” I snapped at her. “Whatever you say, Joy,” she retorted with what she calls ‘a knowing look.’

Yeah, right.

“Whatever you say, Catherine. I am going to sleep.” I told her. She gasped. “IN YOUR UNIFORM?” I gave her yet another eye roll. “Yeah, so shut up. I showered in PE so I’m fine.” I switched off the lights and happily went off to dream land.

I immediately regretted it.

I dreamt that I was thirteen again, and I was pushed into a dark classroom by Mikey. Wait, Mikey? He wasn’t one of my bullies! A thirteen year old Mikey McKenzie laughed a sinister laugh and locked me in the classroom, threw away the key, and walked away into the darkness. I was trapped in the classroom again, alone, in the dark.

The lights.

I remembered the lights and turned them on. Tiny blue, green, yellow and red lights blinked at me, and I felt really happy. I sat on the floor. Mikey materialized next to me, but he was no longer the sinister guy from earlier. He was looking at the Christmas lights, too, his eyes reflecting all the bright colors. He turned his gaze to me and smiled gently. The corner of his eyes crinkled like an old man’s, but on him, the “old man look” looked adorable. I bet he’ll get crow’s feet when he grows older. His lips were curved into a sweet smile, making him look like a child.

I looked back to the lights, but they were no longer there. I was in a dark room, with only a sliver of light entering. I walked over to where the light was coming from, and found a small door. I opened it and crawled through. I was in the Home Economics room, and Mikey was there, holding out a hand. I took it and let him pull me up.