seven

There we were back again in the same car, driving down the same road, but this time more bodies filled the car. Me and Connor were squished in the back with two other people, some guy was driving and a girl sat beside him in the passenger seat. Everyone was laughing and talking over one another as the music blasted through the speakers, the vibrations dancing throughout the car.

I didn't really know any of them, they were all Connors friends, though I would keep myself present in the conversation, a wide grin stuck across on my face as everyone laughed and yelled. I didn't want to be the one person to put everyone else in a bad mood, though I really wanted to. This was the first time in a long time I had seen Connor so alive, I didn't want to switch off that light bulb that was burning so bright inside of him after it being absent for so long.

But they seemed to enjoy my little speckles of laughter here and there, liking how I would say a few shy words throughout the scattered conversation, the car always getting quiet every time I were to speak. I think for once I was pretty content with the person I was pretending to be.

I didn't think we were going anywhere in particular, but I heard something about a fair that was in town. It was a cloudy day which would mean it would be mostly empty since everyone's out when the sun is.

Connors eyes beamed over in my direction, his wide smile slowly fading the more he stared. I didn't let myself make complete eye contact with him, not wanting him to see what I was hiding.

He leaned before whispered, "you okay?" He pulled back a bit, only to observe me more.

My eyes gazed around at everyone before they were drawn to his, giving the boy a simple a nod, though I could see he wasn't convinced.

"Let's not talk about me right now and focus on what's happening now," I smiled, hoping that would distract him from me for the time being.

"But you are what's going on right now, these little things of yours are happening right now," He whispered into my ear, not wanting anyone else to hear our exclusive conversation.

I shook my head, pulling my gaze away from his as my eyes flickered down towards my nervous hands. Why did he always have to do this? always caring about me and what was happening. But I guess it's better than him not caring at all.

"Please, Connor.. not now," I murmured.

I could hear him swallow hard before he spoke, "It's okay," He pressed his lips on my head before retrieving from the conversation, returning back to what was happening around us.

I looked back up, seeing that the girl sitting in the front seat, Caroline, had been watching us the whole time, trying to figure out what we could have possibly talking about. I gave her a weak smile before I pulled my attention away from her as the guy beside Connor began to yell the lyrics to the song that was blasting throughout the car as everyone else laughed.

I wasn't sure how much longer we were in that mob scene of a car, but soon enough we were driving along the dirt surface of the fair grounds parking lot, driving down the many rows of cars as we searched for a place to park. I guess I was wrong, there were a lot more people than I thought.

Everything was very loud and chaotic. Even finding a parking, everyone in the car was yelling and laughing, and every time someone would yell wait, the car would jerk forward, causing all of us to slam against the seats.

"There, There, There!" Kylie yelled, the girl who seat on the other side by the window, she was basically out of her seat by this point, holding herself up with the seat in front of her.

The car swerved into the spot that Kylie had been yelling about, causing everyone to shift to the side, my body being shoved up against the car door as Connors hand had gripped my thigh tightly, his hand a little too close to where it shouldn't really be, well at least with a car full of people. My eyes widened as I jumped, not expecting the sudden contact.