It's Complicated

I tapped my fingers furiously against the counter top. I stared at my phone, at the clock, just back and forth checking if one of them was wrong. However, they both read the same time: 9pm. Hadn't we agreed on going to my flat later after she came back? Where was she? I didn't know why but I had a feeling something happened. I sat there on the red stool in the kitchen picking on my bowl of fruit.     

Are you sure that's why your like that?     

I ignored the voice. The guys and Em were all playing football outside. I would have joined but, one: the teams would have been uneven and two: I was way too distracted right now to even pay attention to the game. I pushed my plate aside. Maybe it was just me worrying too much.     

What happened Eva, are you actually worried or are you frightened?     

I felt my jaw clench.     

Awww, did I make you mad? I don't know what's more funny that you're here alone while everyone else is having fun or that you're trying to make yourself believe the you live in a better place now. You can't run away from the truth, Eva. I don't even know why you even try.     

I swung my arm forth and my plate of fruits went flying to the other side. Leave me alone. I heard his chuckles.     

The sound of a whimper pull me out of my trance and I looked down at my white, greyed eye pup. I have had him for almost 3 days and he knew me more than I do. He was a very smart pup.     

What now, you've resorted to dogs for friends?     

Leave me the hell alone.     

I got up from the stool I had sat on, carefully placing Ghost on the ground. I looked around for paper and a pen. I found some at the other end of the counter. I hastily wrote my note down. It read:    

Em,

I'm going to drive around. I'll come around to pick you up later. Oh, take care of ghost for me. -E xx.

"Hiya, Ghost. Wanna do me a favor?" I asked. He wagged his tail. He was confused about my sudden change in mood.    

"I'm fine, Ghost. Just a bit worried about Kait, that's all," I said. Ghost cocked his head to the side. I chuckled. He knew too well.     

"Fine. Sometimes I wonder if I can hide things from you. I'm going to drive around for a bit, can you take this to Emma," I asked. Ghost barked. I placed the note in a book that laid nearby and handed it to Ghost, who held it in his mouth. I grabbed my phone and took my keys from the hook.     

"Okay, Ghost, go give that to Emma," I said. Ghost ran off towards the football court. Now where did I park my car? Right, in the back. I followed Ghost out back. He trotted of towards Emma and the boys and I walked off towards my car. I jumped in and turned on the engine. I had to get some fresh air. I waited for a moment to assure that Ghost handed the book to Em, before I drove off. Once Ghost accomplished his task, I placed the car on drive and drove off. From the side mirrors I saw as the boys stopped to watch me drive off, Emma clearly took their distraction as an advantage and made a goal. I smiled. This was Emma to you.     

I drove around the city, looking at everything in sight. Then a song came to my mind. A song I began to write with Ed, but I never got around to finish it. It wasn't because I didn't know what else to write, but because I knew exactly what to write.     

"Four years old with my back to the door All I could hear was the family war Your selfish hands always expecting more Am I your child or just a charity award?