Chapter 21 - Maybe, I like you

Two days – It's been 2 days since Niall told me about his feelings. The news has so badly stolen my appetite, sleep and any interest to do any activity that I kept myself shut inside my house throughout the weekends.

It not only came as a shock, but also strangely as annoyance. I kept asking why he had to like me. Why couldn't I have gone back to liking Steven? Why couldn't Niall and I just hate each other? Why we had to even become friends? Why couldn't things just go back to normal?

A certain uneasiness and tension bothers me, and regardless of how desperately I want to see Niall I know I can't deal with our situation right now.

Somehow I manage to come to office today without bumping into either Niall or Liam in the morning. My mind constantly goes back to Niall and I can't even attempt to stop it. I know it was my decision to not confront him and escape away, but somehow my heart wants things to just sort out on its own. It craves for Niall and longs for our friendship.

Call it strange or coincidence – Venkatesh feels sick right after lunch today, thereby allowing Deepak and I to wrap up our work by 5.30 Pm.

"Hey, you wanna go out for drink now?" Deepak asks as I pack my bag.

I shrug. "No, not in the mood today."

"Why? What happened?"

"Nothing, just not in the mood today," I shrug again.

"Alright, you take care," he pats on my head and I smile, nodding.

"Can you drop me at the bus stop?" I ask.

"Sure, I'm going down to the parking lot. You come, okay?"

I nod with a wide grin.

No sooner does Deepak turn on his heels and leave our workspace than I notice Steven rise on his feet, and lock his gaze with me. He doesn't say anything, but his eyes give away too much and I know he wants to talk to me.

"Do you have a minute?" Steven asks out loud.

"Yeah," I nod, biting my lower lip. My heartbeats race up from the seriousness of his voice.

He strolls forward and stands in front of me, hands pocketed inside. I stare at him as I catch his coffee brown eyes glitter like never before.

"Aren't you leaving too early today?" he asks.

"Yeah," I retort. "Sir was feeling sick, so we also wrapped up early," I giggle mildly.

"Are you in a rush?"

I shake my head. "Not really," and bite my lower lip.

"Do you mind waiting for a few minutes? I'm also done with my work, maybe we can go for coffee," his voice sounds sexier than ever.

I sigh and look at the ground. This isn't something I should put second thoughts upon, but I don't know why I'm hesitating. Something about pursuing anything with Steven makes me feel wrong, guilty and unusually sad.

My prolonged silence triggers Steven to talk again.

"C'mon Nadia, please," he places his hand around my left wrist.

I widen my eyes at the sight of his touch on me, and then look back at him again. "Why is it so important now?"

"Let me take you out, maybe I can explain to you then," he replies.

I swallow. "Okay."

"Great," he smiles from ear to ear. "Just give me 5 minutes," he immediately turns around and jogs back to his chair.