BASIC Q&A

Q: I'm ____ (not Korean). Can I audition? What are my chances?

A: Yes. SM's website states that they accept any applicant regardless of gender, race, or age.
However, also, keep in mind that you are auditioning for a Korean company whose target audience is Koreans. Marketability comes into play here. The more talent you have, the fewer looks matter.
If you are auditioning based on your talent and desire, go for it. You never know, especially with the globalization of K-Pop thanks to PSY. However, if you're auditioning based on looks and mediocre or no talent, you have an extremely small chance.

Q: I'm ___ inches/centimeters tall. Is this okay?A: Yes. This doesn't usually matter, but if it matters that much to you, Koreans seem to be about 5' 3" on average (women). Taller is better, but height won't matter if you have talent.
Source: Personal experience standing next to random people in Seoul.

Q: If I am asked to Korea, will they pay for my plane ticket?A: No. I feel that this is a way of testing how badly you want to be a Korean idol. Are you willing to put down $3000 to visit Korea for the chance you might join the industry and follow your dreams?
(UPDATE: I have been seeing from certain sources that they might pay for a plane ticket if they have truckloads of faith in your talent. I can see this is you're the next BoA, but DON'T COUNT ON IT. Unless you know you're talented enough to make BoA look like a beginning dance student and have an impressive resume, assume my original answer.)
Source:

  Q: What's the best way to contact them if I can't make it to the live auditions?

A: Email. everysing is more for contests as SM likes to keep any potential trainees hidden from the public.

Q: I'm not skinny. Do they care? / Will they consider me?
Yes. Keep in mind that your level of talent will determine how much they take your physical appearance into consideration. If you're fantastic, they'll probably think it's worth the time and money to get you into "idol-shape".

Q: Do I have to dance?
Eventually, yes. SM is a dancing company - they focus on dancing.
Weekly and Monthly Auditions will require you to dance at the audition while Global will not. Even soloists will have to be able to dance (or, the exception, play an instrument like TRAX or J-Min). BoA and even Zhang Liyin (she was considered for Girls' Generation) dance.
[UPDATE - With the new format of Weekly and Monthly Auditions, you areno longer required to dance on your initial audition. However, do expect to be tested on your rhythm ability later on if you make it through that audition.]

Q: Does SM pay you to be a trainee?
No. Think of it like going to boarding school on a scholarship or as an internship. They are paying FOR your training and accommodations so why would they pay you? They do give you a weekly allowance of about $20. 

Q: My country doesn't have live auditions. Will they see my online audition? (Or: I don't live close to the life auditions. Will they see my online audition?)
A: Yes, but I strongly encourage saving up to attend a live audition. They do see online auditions, but you are usually directed to a live Audition in the end.

Q: I heard SM Entertainment is 80% looks and 20% talent. Is this true?
A: Yes and no. This is the entertainment industry and you are going to be the product that the company sells. In this industry, looks matter.
However, charisma and stage presence is also extremely important and I believe this ties into the "looks" assertion.

Q: I'm __ years old. Am I too young/old?
A: Maybe? SM Entertainment's Youth Star Auditions were open to those born between 1992 to 2003 (as of Aug 2012). That would mean they would accept those between the ages of 9 to 20. If you're older than 20, then they lose interest in you because they think you're "too old" to train and debut.
Technically though they accept anyone of any age.
Source: smtown.com
Source: