Heart of Ikchani: Chapter 3

A/N: As with the last chapters, point out any areas that you feel need work. Thank you. =)

Chapter 3

A door shattered in the darkness, causing Nyeverra to wake from her slumber and sit up in her cot. The bedroom door was in splinters. Three warriors equipped with swords and torches stepped inside. The other servants in the small room woke up and huddled together. The warriors weren't looking at them. They focused on her.

"Grab her," one of the men said.

"What have I done?" she asked as the other two men grabbed her shoulders, and brought her to her feet.

"You have been charged with murdering the Duke."

"Murder?"

The men didn't answer her. They carried Nyeverra under her shoulders out of the room and down the hall, following behind their leader.

Nyeverra didn't know what to think. She knew her mistress planned on leaving and that she resented her father. But murder? She wondered if Divinity had done it, or if somebody was setting her up. Nyeverra hoped her friend was all right.

They brought her out to the streets of Legain. A large crowd gathered and began shouting at her. They threw rotten food at her and chanted.

"Murderer!"

"Hang her!"

Nyeverra trembled and her vision blurred as tears flowed down her face. They threw her on the ground at the gallows. She looked around and watched a crowd gather all around. A man walked toward her, draped in red with a gold crown on his head. Nyeverra slung her arms over her head and dropped to the ground.

"Rise," a powerful voice said.

She gulped and carefully got to her feet. Her body would not quit shaking, but she held the king's gaze. Next to him stood another man with black hair, a large nose, and crooked teeth that grinned at her.

"Did you or did you not kill Sir Wylace the III, Duke of Legain?" the king asked.

"I—I did not, your highness."

"Lies. I saw her steal a sword from Sir Wylace's study. She went to the Duchess's room," the other man said.

"Is this true?" the king asked, eyes glaring deep into hers.

"I...yes, your highness."

"Tell me. What have you done with my betrothed?" Eryen interjected.

"Calm yourself, Eryen."

Nyverra gulped.

"Where is the Duchess?" the king asked.

"I do not know."

"But you were in the room of the Duchess the same night the Duke was murdered?"

"Yes, your highness. I am in her room most nights. I am her personal maid."

"I see. And what were you doing in her room last night?"

"I cannot say." She flinched.

"Excuse me?"

"I am bound by secrecy with my mistress."

"You present us with no evidence but your word, and I have the word of another that you had a sword in your possession that night. A sword that you were not meant to have. I have little choice child. I pride myself in being a just king, but without proper evidence or truth in the matter....you will hang for these crimes. What is your name child?"