Andy Chapman

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I had writer's block.

"Come on mom, we really don't need that many eggs!" We had been shopping all day. I was getting tired of holding my mom's bags, but I loved her so I didn't complain. It was just the two of us, she and I didn't fit in well, and my father was a drunk who had left after my mom got pregnant.
Sometimes I dream about fields filled with vines and a man with maroon eyes saying he loves me. My mom says I am a perfect mixture of her and my dad. I have sharp features, but softer cheekbones from my mom. My eyes are reddish purple and my mom always says they get a crazy glint in them when I smile. As I get back to reality I realize my mom is looking around worriedly. "What's wrong?", I ask.
" Nothing, sweetie, your right, that is a lot of eggs. Let's go pay. Come on, quickly." Her sentences were clipped and there was an edge to her voice. She seemed very scared so I decided no to question her and followed her to the register.

When we got there I realized there were more people than necessary, nine to be exact. My mom yelled something, but I was distracted by the people starting to melt. Their wax like drippings bubbled, foamed, and turned a sickly shade of green and grey. The wax was molded until a twelve foot monster was towering over me, acid dripping from its jaws. A burst of flame came between the jagged teeth of one of the nine heads. I've seen it before, in a storybook. It was a hydra (A/N OMG Ward!!!). Somehow, I wasn't surprised. My mom was always hinting at it and this is probably why she made me study Greek and Greece so diligently. But I didn't have a weapon, and that did scare me.

Out of nowhere one of the heads jabbed down. I dodged just in time to see it snap up my mom, flecks of acid spit flying everywhere. My brain just stopped working. My mom was the most important part of my life and now she was dead. I could feel it.

Suddenly a man dressed in black melted out of the shadows and said something in Greek, "Leave!", I could understand him! My thoughts were interrupted by a loud rumble and then the ground under the Hydra split open. It looked like the ground had swallowed it. I was panting and my heart skipped a beat when I fully realized that my mom was dead. I knew it, she was never coming back. I had splatters of her blood and the Hydra venom seeping into my sweatshirt. That made me even sadder because my mom had given me the Hollister sweatshirt on my fourteenth birthday and she gave it to me even though money was right. She told me I was special every birthday after that, just to make sure I didn't forget.

I felt people's eyes on me and remembered where I was so I ran out of the store, leaving my sweatshirt behind. It was disintegrating anyways. I ran all the way home and started crying the moment I got there.

I knew I couldn't live any longer, not with this pain. My mom was the only one who accepted me, she was my best friend. After kids at school teases me for hallucinating monsters she would always comfort me and tell me how much she loves me -loved, past tense. I packed all of the things she had ever given me. Almost all of the things she had ever given me were in a suitcase. I dragged it outside and locked the house. Then I made my way down to the train station. There I made a big decision and threw my house key onto the tracks, where they had electric currents running through the tracks. Then I got onto a train that would take me to the nearest bridge. By that time it was completely dark and almost midnight.

I was totally alone and shrouded in darkness. Good, the sky reflected my mood and was a perfect cover. I heaved the suitcase onto the edge of of the bridge and said my last goodbyes. I gave the suitcase a hard shove and watched it disappear into the night. I didn't know what to do next, all I knew was that the burning pain wasn't home and I wanted nothing more than to be with my mother again. I climbed onto the ledge and sat down. I thought about all the things I had been through and how maybe this was best for me. I was about to slide of the edge when a hand touched my shoulder. I looked up and saw the same boy from the grocery store looking at me. This time he was with a blonde boy who was smiling sadly. The blonde boy gave the other one a nudge.

" My name is Nico and this is Will. We know where you belong." He extended his hand and I took it. I didn't really want to die, I just wanted to make my mom proud.

Sorry again for not updating in a couple months. I had horrible writer's block and no motivation. Hopefully, I will get more ideas, but suggestions are helpful. I can't make any promises.
-Chairman