Chapter 4: Safe Haven Part I

"That teaches you not to mess with my son." Said the voice behind me.

I had fallen unconscious after those words were spoken.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I had awoken, barely able to see a thing, but I could make out a tent, a table, a bag full of food and supplies, and a few weapons sitting in the corner. (The weapons were a 10mm Pistol, a Silenced .22, a machete, a couple of knifes, and a .50 Caliber Semi Automatic Shotgun.)

After a couple of minutes, I regained my sight. I got up and walked out of the tent quietly.

"Morning neighbor!" An old man shouted to me.

Surprised, because I couldn't see him, I ran back into the tent, grabbed the machete, and hid under the bed I was sleeping on.

The old man walked into the tent and said, "Ha! It's alright, everyone runs when they see new faces. You don't have to come out, but just to let you know, your Dad is out on a supply run. You'll be safe here. He will be back any second now that I think about it. But in the meantime, I'm Dean. Nice to meet you."

I thought to myself, should I get up and introduce myself, or stay under here until Dad gets here.

I crawled out from under the bed and introduced myself.

"Um... Hi, I'm Riley." I said quietly.

We stood there in an awkward silence for a minute until we heard a car pull up.

"Hey Dean, I got some more supplies," someone said, "and a new member for our group!"

"Well, I'll be damned! Who is it?" Dean said.

I walked outside with Dean and saw my Dad and the new "member" unloading the trunk of the car.

"Dad!" I yelled.

"Hey son! Good morning!" He said as I was hugging him tightly.

"Dad... How did you know where to find me?" I questioned.

"I was doing a supply run in our neighborhood and saw some suspicious people wandering around our house. I followed them around and heard a loud scream when they went inside. That's when I realized someone still had to be alive in there, I just didn't know who. I was going inside when I heard them say they were leaving. I ran out and hid behind the car. I couldn't make out what they were saying when they walked out, but I knew it was about whoever was in there. I was going to wait until they left, but then you walked out and I saw what they did to you. That made me pissed. So I followed them to their camp. And shot both of them."

"Dad, how long have you known Dean?" I said.

"Um... About a week or so now." He said.

"And, why... Why did they eat my fingers?"

"Well, that's something I can't really answer. But, I was going to go back to that campsite to see if they have anything of value. You want to come with?"

"Dad, I don't know if that's a good-"

"Oh, come on Riley, ain't nothing going to happen." My Dad explained.

"Well... Sure, I'll go." I said.

"That's my boy!" He yelled.

----------------------------------------------------------------

He drove up to the campsite and saw the bodies still lying there after a day. (The reason they didn't turn is because they both got clean shots to the head.)

"Let's check the bodies, then the tents. Now, take that machete just in case something goes wrong." Dad explained.

"Alright." I said.

We got out of the car and searched through the bodies thoroughly.

"Got nothing here." Dad said.

"I found some slip of paper. Looks like it has some writing on it." I said.

I unfolded the slip of paper and read the few words on it. It was torn in some places so I could only make out some of the words.

It read:

...ome here.
Safe Haven.
Terminus...

"What is Terminus?" I questioned.

"From the sound of this note, it probably a community of some kind." Dad explained.

"Your welcome to check it out." Said a mysterious voice.

We both turned around and saw three men with AK-47 rifles.

"We always love newcomers."