Chapter 9

If I knew money would eventually become a bigger concern than the law, I would have never agreed to continue our journey to Texas. Lizzy had always insisted on stopping in major cities, eating at diners and sleeping in hotels every time we drove a few miles. It burned a lot of gas, wasted time and took up the majority of our money. All of our money, actually. I thought we had it covered, during a time like this; petty things should be the least of our concerns. But as Lizzy pulls out a five-dollar bill from her wallet and declares it her last, I know we're in trouble.

"We are officially out of money," she announces.

I stare at the crinkled bill in her hand, a flimsy and worn piece of paper that's seen the pockets of hundreds of people. Not much you can get with five dollars but a pack of gum and a Snickers. "Don't you have like drug dealer benefits?" I ask.

She laughs. "Not really."

I take a deep breath, close my eyes and lay back on the thin mattress of the motel room Lizzy and I were staying in. It's a little uncomfortable and cold now, but when she climbed into bed with me last night, it didn't feel that way. I was thoroughly enjoying her presence again. It took me a few days to get over how she lied to me, but she made the trip special. It was so hard to stay mad at someone who plays you so well: someone who quickly learned your weaknesses, your strengths and someone who quickly stole your heart right out of your chest. I put my hands over my face, wondering what I've gotten myself into and sigh.

"What are we supposed to do?" I ask.

She sits on the bed next to me and thinks. I watch her face, contemplating on our next move. Whatever was going to happen next, I could already tell I won't like it. We'll either have to travel hundreds of miles on five dollars, an uncomfortable, near impossible experience, or get money somehow, and the only possible ways to get money this quickly would be illegal. A sinister smile crosses her face and she turns around to look down at me. Somehow, I feel like I already know what she's about to ask me to do.

"No," I say before she can speak.

"You don't even know what I'm going to say," she says.

"I'm not prostituting myself."

Lizzy laughs loudly. Her hectic laugh is contagious, even though this is not exactly a laughing matter. "Jesus," she says, still laughing. "What do you think I am?" I look at her for a long time, waiting for her to tell me her plans, but she's just laughing to herself, giggling at the thought of being a prostitute for a night. I don't get what's so funny, so she stops laughing when she sees the confusion on my face. "I was thinking," she starts. "I was thinking what if we robbed a place? It's really fun... and easy and I totally know what I'm-"

"No," I say again.

She pouts and gives me puppy dog eyes. It's the first time I get that innocent look from her, so I'm not sure what to do. She looks cute doing it, like a five-year-old girl at Toys R Us. Honestly, at this point it really doesn't feel like we have any other options. I wonder what exactly she has in mind, though. It might just be a minor robbery, like stealing from an old person or a corner store. Still, the thought of committing any crime like that was hard for me to swallow.

"Baby come on," she says and grabs my hand. My heart still jumps when she calls me that. "It will be fun, I know you'll like it."

"Like it?" I laugh and sit up next to her. "Lizzy, I can't start doing any more illegal shit with you. Being on the run is enough already, don't you think?"