Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

It was 8am when I arrived at my dad’s cake shop on a freezing Monday morning. It was exactly a week before Christmas and a thin layer of ice covered most of the pavement around the city of London. I had to open the shop at 8:30am and work on my own for an hour before Ellice, my best friend, showed up to work her shift along with me.

I’d been working in my dad’s cake shop ever since I was a little girl but had started full-time after I’d finished school which was just over a year ago. I was now 18 years old, baking and selling cakes each day in a shop that would one day be my own. At school I had never been worried about my future like all my friends who wanted to go to university, get fantastic jobs, find a good husband and have a family. My job was already set for me the minute I was born and I knew I would find someone when the time was right. I didn’t want to force my future into place. It would naturally happen.

I shoved the key into the icy lock and pushed the door open. The shop was rather small out in the front but behind the counter was an enormous work room where all the ovens, fridges, work tables and supplies were kept. The three tables placed in the front of the store were already clean and gleaming since I had washed them down the night before, so I walked straight behind the counter and into the work room. My dad had left several, large boxes of cakes in the fridge and on the table which were to be sold that day. We served cupcakes and ordinary cakes in the counter out front but customers could also come in and order extravagant cakes which dad and I would make. We would spend hours making sure they were perfect and it was unusual to have an unhappy customer. The business was getting popular and my dad was extremely proud.

I carried a pink box to the counter in the shop and placed mini toffee cheesecakes in the refrigerated area. I returned with more and more boxes filling up the glass counter. Once I had finished filling the shop with delicious cakes I grabbed my apron from a hook on the wall. It had my name ‘Scarlett’ embroidered with white thread where a name tag would normally be worn. I swung the red material over my head and tied a bow around my lower back. The shop was ready to open.

By lunchtime Ellice and I were both busy selling cakes that were every colour of the rainbow and writing down orders that would need to be filled. We were rushed off our feet and had to miss our lunch breaks. It was always busy around Christmas. Everyone would come in and order specific cakes for parties or to give as presents. My dad would deliver also if they were too big to pick up or if they needed to be kept a surprise. I couldn’t complain about my job. To me I had the best job in the world.

I placed a £10 note in the till and handed a customer their change and receipt as they took hold of the bag filled with various snacks.

“I’m exhausted” sighed Ellice.

I turned to look at my 19 year old, blonde haired, blue eyed, best friend and forced a smile “Only a few more hours” I stated.

She took a deep breath and smiled back. “I’ve been so tired lately. Balancing work, college and all the coursework I get, I barely have time to rest.”

“Just keep on top of it all and don’t get behind with your college work. If you’re behind just tell my dad. I’m sure we could cope if you wanted to work less. We could find someone new?” I suggested.

Ellice frowned. “I need the money” was all she said.

I nodded and we continued to work in silence until the shop died down and we were only getting a few customers coming in and going out.

“Where are you this Christmas?” I asked Ellice.

“My Mum’s” she smiled. Her parents had gotten divorced a few years ago because her dad was cheating on her mum. Ellice spent one Christmas with her dad and the next with her mother. She always wanted to forgive her dad but she found it hard, for obvious reasons, and preferred staying with her mum.

“I’m excited” I grinned. No matter how old I would get, I would always love Christmas and be up at the crack of dawn and then be sent back to bed because it was too early for my parents.

I was an only child but had always wanted an older brother. Most of my friends had siblings and in some ways I felt lonely. When growing up, the house had always been pretty quiet. Dad was nearly always at work and my mum would be looking after me. I had a better relationship with my dad since I worked with him most days. Mum has always kept everything to herself and isn’t very talkative, even to me. It’s quite unusual for a girl to have a better relationship with her father than mother but my life is my life.

“I’m not too bothered about Christmas” replied Ellice. “It hasn’t been the same since my parents separated.” She paused. “And I’ve grown up.”

“Where’s your Christmas spirit?” I yelled, jokingly.

She rolled her eyes. “I left it at home.”

(Check out the official 'Red Velvet' trailer on the side)