Prologue

Prologue

I could feel my heart loudly beating inside my chest, as drops of sweat dripped from the sides of my face. My dried lips stayed still

while my eyes nervously gazed around the room. Both of my hands were shackled, but deep inside I knew the real restraint was my own guilt. I stood in front of all the soldiers who served by my side, my fellow brothers and sisters.

I felt disgraced. I could see in their eyes how ashamed they were to share the same blood with me, breathe the same air of a sinner. Could I really be called that? Those who once looked up to me with admiration, now looked down on me with hurt written on their features. For the first time judgment was being held out for me. I could remember other countless moments when I stood among the high ranks looking down on those who had broken the rules. But I was not alone. At least some of my comrades still stood by my side. But was it worth it? They were going to be punished for what was my sin to begin with.

At this point I knew that there was no way to go back and change my choices, correct my mistakes. This may be the last time I saw grace, and the beauty of life. But the Judgment was not the torn in my side. It was her...Her gaze on me pierced my skin like a thousand daggers. I knew she did not agree with that which I planned...and now I wondered...should I have listen to her? If I had, I would not be in this predicament...

Then the almighty spoke, giving his judgment "You have failed soldier...the council has decided your fate and those who decided to stand strong by your side." he said closing the book of faith and looked at me with a penetrating gaze. "You're to be exiled until the end of time, condemned to be that which you envied the most, yet not accepted among their kind. You will be an outcast; suffering, and guilt will be the only reminder you'll have that you were alive. You will be hunted for that which you craved, and you will never be able to forget your mistakes..."

I lowered my head in shame as those who were my followers began to scream, afraid of exile itself. Nobody imagined that the punishment would be this severe. The ground below our feet opened up as we felt the grace taken away from us. I looked up and all I could see were her eyes.

Her eyes, so strong yet deep, had no sympathy for me. We fell into nothingness, and I screamed her name. But no words left my lips. I extended my hand to her, carrying tears in my eyes but she did not move. She remained there frozen like a statue as I felt my body plunged into never- ending darkness...