Three

***************NOT EDITED****************

By nine-thirty that night, Ramon had still not come to see Laura. She kept hiS disc player under her pillow and listened to the plaintive strains of the haunting classical guitar music until she got a lump in her throat and felt as if she'd cry from the sheer beauty of it. When her mother had seen Laura with the player earlier, she'd asked, "Where did that come from"

"I borrowed it from a friend."

"It was thoughtful of Bonnie to bring it," her mother said, making an assumption Laura didn't bother to correct. "But your father and I can buy you one of your own. All you have to do is ask."

"I like this one."

"Why? I'm certain we can buy a better one. I'll research the different brands, and we can stop at an audio store tomorrow—"

"This one is fine, Mom."

"But if you like it so much, why wouldn't you want one of your own?"

Because if you buy me one, I have no reason to hold onto Ramon's, she thought. "Mom, I don't have to own everything," she insisted. "I just like borrowing things once in a while. It makes me feel like someone expects me to live long enough to give them back."

Her mother didn't mention it again, and now, as the hospital quieted down for the night, Laura began to doubt that Ramon would come to retrieve his disc player at all. He probably had a bagful and went room to room giving them out to lonely girls trapped in hospital beds.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Laura." Ramon ducked inside her room after ten o'clock." I had to clean an operating room."

All her dark thoughts vanished at the sight of him. "I wasn't worried," she fibbed. "Plus I had your disc player. I'd figured you come back for it."

He came to her bedside. "The player is nothing. It is you I want to see."

Her feelings of rejection did an about-face. "Thank you for letting me borrow the player. I love the music."

He reached into his pocket and withdrew several minidiscs. "Here are others."

"But it's your player, and I should give it back. My parents will buy me my own."

Ramon grinned. "Then you will have no reason to let me visit."

She returned his smile, touch that they'd share the same thought. "You don't need a reason."

He placed the discs in her hand. "I can't stay. I have work to do, but I could not begin again without seeing you first."

"Will you promise to come back tonight?"

His eyes clouded. "I don't know... Your doctor wants you to rest."

"I rest all day."

"It would be very late, and nurse on duty—"