Faith Trust and Peeping Toms

When I opened my eyes again, I realized that I was in my bedroom. Light danced on my floor from the sunlight outside of the glass wall; I was still curious as to how nothing had been set on fire yet. A charm, maybe? I sat up after realizing that I was still in my clothing from last night. Someone must have carried me back to my bedroom.

"Can I come in?" I turned in my bed to find Luca standing in the doorway. It was clear by his stance and the look in his eyes that he was mad... or maybe a little hurt. He leaned against the wall and I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Hey."

"Rune carried you back from the stables last night, just in case you were wondering. I don't blame you for being so tired. I think I was nearly asleep too when Rune showed up to bring us back. Anyways, get up and get around. My dad wants to talk to you," Luca clapped his hands, causing my shoulders to jump the slightest bit.

Now I definitely knew something was wrong. I didn't want to ask so I just grabbed a shirt and some jeans. When I came back from changing, Luca was completely zoned out. His eyes were trained on my necklace, which was innocently hanging from my dresser. I snapped my fingers in front of his face and his eyes moved to meet mine.

"Sorry, I'm just still kind of tired, that's all. Aren't you going to wear it, though?" Luca nodded his head to my necklace and I just shook my head. I wasn't ready to wear the necklace today. I wouldn't be ready to wear it for awhile. At least, not without thinking of the consequences.

"Nessa, just because of your... intended purpose, it doesn't mean you aren't a good person. Everyone has a purpose, and yours is a great one. Don't let him make you second-guess yourself," Luca said to me as we walked to his fathers office. I studied the ceiling as he spoke; just as I always did whenever I was about to cry. Every single time I think of it, the pain becomes worse.

I blinked any tears away and looked into Luca's sincere eyes. I sent him a small smile to show my appreciation and pushed open the doors to Professor Marda's office. I was suddenly glad that I had actually tried to look decent this morning, because otherwise Jem would be seeing me in the morning. What was he doing here?

There he was. Jem was sitting on the couch and was as handsome as always. He was wearing the same clothes as he had been wearing when he and his brothers had come to 'officially' meet me. A small flutter in my heart reminded me to look away before I could have been considered staring at him. Jem, as nonchalant as always, didn't look up as we walked into the room and closed the doors behind us. Professor Marda's face was hidden as he looked down at his desk. Luca and I awkwardly sat down on the same couch as Jem; both boys sat at opposite ends of the long couch while I sat smack-dab in the middle of them. I knew what the conversation would be about, and I wasn't quite looking forward to it.

We all sat in silence for several minutes as Professor Marda looked from me to Luca and back to me before looking from me to Jem and back to me once again. The entire time Luca seemed deep in thought whereas Jem was studying his broadsword that, for a reason unknown, he had brought. I messed with the hem of my shirt.

He sighed, "You told him," I was instantly trying to defend myself but Professor Marda's voice only interrupted me once again. "You told him. Why did you tell him? How can he be of any service to us?" Professor Marda groaned.

"Jem may be a Sindel but that doesn't mean that he is untrustworthy."

"Uh, yeah! He is totally untrustworthy! He tried to kill me!" Luca snapped. I bit back my remark about how Luca hadn't even told me the reason they hated each other so much. I mentally made a note to confront him about it later.

"Okay, Prince Jem, if you were in our shoes would you trust someone like you?" Professor Marda gave all of his attention to Jem and I felt my jaw drop at James' answer.