Chapter Two -- Amber

Note: The chapter headings indicate the perspective from which the chapter will be told.  Most of the early chapters will be from Amber's perspective, but later I will include other perspectives (primarily Dooku's, but others as well). 

Hope you enjoy, and as always comments/feedback is greatly appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       My little red knife never even brushes Allexx. Instead it comes up in an arc, slicing the ropes that bind his hands and ankles. It sails from my outstretched hand as it does so, twisting through the air, and embeds itself in the blood-soaked dirt at Allexx's knees.

       There's not a pair of eyes in this village that isn't on me now. Allexx's, wide and filled with fear. My brother, Jon's, terrified but full of respect. My grandmother's aquamarine ones, wise and concerned. My best friend, Nikkiiea's vibrant purple orbs, horrified yet sympathetic. And my father's.

       If they had been stormy before, they were now an all-out hurricane. An angry flash of lightning seems to hurl out of the deep gray churning depths, threatening to pierce me through. A cold, dark ripple of Force-power extends outward and sends a miniature cyclone spiraling through the dirt around me, splattering my robes with blood. I've never seen him this furious before, and it frightens me. As the leader of our village, Father held powers beyond my wildest dreams, I knew, and he had a legendary temper besides.

       I drag my toe through the wet, crimson-stained dirt, my eyes burning with tears I'm determined not to let fall. "I can't do it, Father." My voice shakes, but I know there's no turning back now. I force myself to look bravely into those thundercloud-like eyes, hoping to see a flash of pity or warmth. But I see nothing. Nothing but fury and lightning and thunder and rain. "I owe him my life," I try to explain, still struggling to hold back the tears that are starting to obscure my vision. "He and his father..."

       "You disappoint me, Amber." My father is trying to control his temper for our village's sake, but we all know what's coming. "You side with this..." My father looks disgustedly at Allexx, trying to find the right word. "This Jedi, a traitor from our own village! I will not have a weakling for a daughter! You dishonor us all!"

        My father's words stab me through my heart and to my core, as if it had been not the ground but my chest that had been pierced by the knife I'd flung from my quivering hand. I look at the thing, the shiny, deadly blade buried in the bloody dirt next to Allexx's muddy knees, and I realize suddenly that that's just what I have done. From the moment that knife had left my sweaty grip, I had sealed my own fate. I study my hand again in disbelief, knowing Father can't – won't – spare me now. Or would he? I wondered. My father's anger was powerful, I knew. I could only hope his love for his daughter was even more so.

       Slowly, I raise my eyes again, back into the churning gray typhoons that are my father's eyes. "I'm sorry, Father." My voice sounds weak, even to my own ears.

       Weakness was treason.

       Father's eyes remain cold and dark, and it seems impossible to me that this is the same man whose eyes had once glistened with hope and light and embraced me in the doorway.

       Treason was punishable by death.

       A teardrop, silent as the crowd gathered around me, rolls down my left cheek, and more follow.