Chapter 4: The Family

Damion's POV
______________________

"Really thirty minutes, they tried to kick our ass for thirty minutes. Now lunch is almost over, and I haven't even gotten to eat my meatball sandwich." I thought while Micheal and I got up off the floor because...you know we had to make it look good for Jack and his crew.

"Micheal, I need to eat before we leave school."

"So, when we get our shit go eat, like the fuck it's not like I'm stopping you." Micheal said rolling his eyes.

"Yay, food, my one love in life." I said with a joyful tone.

We went back into the cafeteria for our stuff. I sat down to eat my expertly constructed work of art clump of meat with a heap of sauce on bread, when I was finished with it, I washed it down with a punch monster and handed Micheal the one I bought for him, (because he never buys his own drinks) looking less than thrilled, he does the same as I did. As soon as the end-of-lunch bell rings we gather our stuff, throw our empty trays and cans away, and head for the front entrance to the school. Just as we were about to open the door, principal Byde, stops us.

"Um, excuse me boys. But where do you think you're going?" He asks in a less than thrilled tone.

"Damion got a call during lunch, from the hospital. His mom is in the ICU." Micheal said in a concerned tone and with a look of worry on his face. I did the best I could to have a fretful look but I failed at facial expressions.

"Oh what happened?" Asked principal Byde.

"She was in a head-on collision with a drunk driver, and had to be air lifted to the hospital" Micheal saved us with an amazing lie, while I just kept silent making my best ready to cry face I could.

"And why are you going, Micheal?" Byde asked.

"Because, I'm the only friend he has, and he doesn't have a license or a car. So I have to take him." Micheal said truthfully this time.

"Okay, go ahead, I guess I can turn my head the other way just this one time." Byde finally gave in.

"Th-thank you Mr. Byde." I said using my most depressing voice I could muster.

We make it across the parking lot to where Michaels space is. We get in and get on the road, heading toward my house first to get my mom...our mom. Thirty-five minutes later and we're pulling into my driveway. Micheal beeps his horn a couple times.

"Mom!" Micheal yells forgetting to roll the window down first.

"I'll get her." I say as I get out of the car.

"I'm coming too." Micheal says shutting the car off and getting out.

"Mom!" I yell out as we go inside.
"Mom! Are you here!?" Micheal yells out when she doesn't reply.

"Yeah boys, I'm doing some laundry!" She yells from the back of the house.
We head back to where she is picking up the last of her clothes from her bedroom floor.

"Stand up, mom." I say.

"What's this all about boys, why aren't you in school?" She asks standing up, oblivious as to why we're here.