Chapter Eighteen

I woke up to the sunlight streaming through the small windows near the ceiling. I flipped the TV on and Blake was onscreen, looking distraught. I stared at him, feeling a gaping hole in my chest. I missed him so much. I was glad I was here with our sleeping son instead of next to him. At least I knew both my boys were safe now. Or for Kieran, as close as safe could get. It was about seven when I heard rustling outside, so I shut the TV off, and woke up Kieran. He hugged me, snuggling his head into the crook of my neck. The man came down the stairs, still cloaked in black and wearing a ski mask although it was supposed to be nice. He came over to me, and threw the duffel bag I had brought down next to me.

"You're lucky that it was all there." He said gruffly. I continued to stare at him.

"Throw the kid's stuff in there. You're being moved." I nodded slowly and grabbed the few things I had brought for my son, along with the blanket. I zipped the bag up and waited for further instruction, knowing that talking wasn't my strong suit.

"Put these on I'll be back in 5 minutes." He turned on his heel and walked back up the steps. I looked at the long pieces of black cloth in front of me. Great. Blindfolds again.

"Kieran, Mommy has to put a piece of cloth in front of your eyes, okay?" He looked at me weird, and I tied it around him gently. He tried to take it off and I had to stop him.

"Leave it on, baby. It'll be off quicker if you behave. Mommy has to wear one, too." I tied an identical strip around my own head, and picked his hand up to my face so he could feel I had one on, too. I felt for the duffel bag and slung it around my body before standing up and putting Kieran on my hip. I felt a hand between my shoulder blades, pushing me forward, and I jumped a little bit. I was picked up put into the bed of the truck again. A few hours passed and we stopped finally.

"Take off the blindfolds." It was a different man speaking, and on taking off the material I saw he was tall, and muscular, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

He roughly grabbed me and threw me on the ground. I shielded Kieran from the worst of it, but he was still scared and began to cry.

"The hell is that?!" He asked, disgusted.

"Answer me!" He roared, and yanked me up, before slapping me across the face.

"He's my son!" I screamed. He slapped me again.

"Get rid of it."

"No." Another slap.

"If you wont get rid of the damned thing you better keep it away from me. Get inside bitch."

He roughly grabbed my upper arm and led me into a shabby house. I was led into a bedroom in the back of the house, and he threw me into the bed. He locked the door, leaving me alone. For now. There was a mirror above the vanity, and I looked into it. My face was beginning to bruise, along with my eye. I looked around the room, and saw a window. I might as well try...I went over to the window, and it was locked. Damn. I heard the door open. A girl who looked to be about fifteen or sixteen walked in. She had blonde hair and blue eyes, and was bruised, too. She brought tea and food.

"Here." She handed me the tray, not making eye contact.

"Can you help me?" I asked her desperately.

She nodded her head.

"Don't make eye contact, don't respond unless spoken to, do what he says. I'll show you around. C'mon."

"Kieran, don't leave this room, okay?"

He sat on the bed, playing with his toys.

"Okay Momma."

We walked back up the hallway and into the kitchen. There was a third woman, who was older, in her forty's maybe, with limp brown hair and sad brown eyes.

"This is Liza. I'm Judy. All you really have to do here is cook and clean. It's really not that bad." She smiled weakly.

"I need to get home to my family. Is there-"

The blonde man walked in the kitchen.

"Well what were you going to say? Finish your damn sentences."

"Sorry." I muttered.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked Liza. She quickly shook her head no.

"Go get wood or something." The man commanded from the table. I followed Judy out, and we began to work side by side.

"Where are we, exactly?"

"Green Country, Oklahoma."

"I really need to get out of here. We can get away. I'll take care of you if you'll help me."

She laughed humorlessly.

"I can't get away from this. That's my wimp of a mother and pig of a father. Besides, you're leaving soon anyway. You're apart of their big show. Originally Taylor and Marieka were the target, but Blake is so much better off. Not to mention you and your son are both considered weaknesses."